question

huubc avatar image
huubc asked

MPPT tracking drops to 0 watts at full sunshine after connecting to Global Link 500

When I connect my Global link 500 to the Victron 150/35 mppt controler , tracking becomes unstable and after a minute or less the power drops to 0 Watts, even in full sunshine. A minute or so later it recovers, starts tracking again only to repeat te same pattern after a short time. The global link works perfectly and I don't see anything wrong with the smartshunt either. When I disconnect the mppt from the global link tracking returns to its normal operation. Any ideas what this may be?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël van de Giessen avatar image
Daniël van de Giessen answered ·

That is an unusual problem indeed, having a GlobalLink connected to the MPPT should not have any effect on its operation. My best guess would be some kind of electrical issue; for example a damaged VE.Direct cable or perhaps a damaged port on the GlobalLink causing a short-circuit or other interference.

Can you check swapping the VE.Direct cable and the port used on the GlobalLink to see if the cable/port in question works correctly with your SmartShunt / the MPPT works correctly on the other cable/port?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

huubc avatar image
huubc answered ·

Thanks for the advice but since yesterday the Global Link device stopped functioning completely. No blinking led, no data transmitted. It's brand new and only functioned normally for a few days. .I guess I'll have to turn it in.

1 comment
2 |3000

Lasse avatar image Lasse ♦♦ commented ·
I am sorry to hear that the unit is not responding at all . If the LED stopped blinking completely then there is nothing left to do then return the unit for a new one assuming you checked the power supply. I hope that a new module will resolve the issue.
0 Likes 0 ·