question

david-corbett avatar image
david-corbett asked

12/375 inverter and starlink, power goes on and off.

Ok, this is really weird. I built a box for portable power, for a starlink internet system. I'm working on clearing land and don't need internet there 24/7/365, only when I'm there. So got a plastic truck box, put in a new lithium ion 12vdc battery, Victron mppt 75v/10A charger, Victron Smart Energy Sense and Phoenix 12/375 inverter. Battery is fully charged, holding between 13.2 - 13.9vdc.

I first plugged the starlink in and it kept booting up, then losing wifi, then restarting etc.
Today got to messing with it and thought.. hmm. plugged the starlink into regular mains power and it works fine, boots up, stays up.

Ok, so this inverter has an eco-mode where it looks to see if there is a load, and if so, then comes on.. but I don't have it in eco mode. Maybe it is doing that anyway. Tried both ways, eco and regular, same thing.

Then I unplugged the starlink and plugged in a small flat panel tv, like small computer monitor size. Powered that up and it came on and never went off. Inverter just idling about 20-30 watts.

Added two loads. no problem, but.. as soon as I plug the Starlink into the inverter, alone or with another load.. the inverter goes off for a bit, starts up, goes off, starts up. It's the darnedest thing.

I'll try to get some video if needed to prove what I'm seeing.

Phoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @David Corbett

There is special mode in the starlink to run a thermal heater inside the dish, could you please make sure that is disabled (in the starlink app).

And then see if that makes any difference at all?

I have a remote setup with starlink myself, so can run some tests too when next on site in a few weeks.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

love2learn avatar image love2learn commented ·
Did anything come of this?
0 Likes 0 ·
tymbuk2 avatar image
tymbuk2 answered ·

So I was having the same issue. Victron makes top quality stuff so what gives? Turns out Starlink does not like floating ground. Remove the cover and move the internal jumper per the updated manual. This took me awhile to find the answer. It’s the Yellow/Green wire. The blue arrow depicts From - To. Your welcome.

Ok I can’t get the darn photo to load. Search for the latest Victron Phoenix manual… it’s at the bottom. Luck!

2 |3000