question

Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK asked

Can anyone help? ESS still not working.

I have had my Victron Multiplus 2 GX 5kVa unit for a week now of which it has only worked correctly for 2 days out of 7. When it did work correctly, it was perfect. ESS at its best but after 2 days I identified I needed to make a change to the settings in the config file. When i went to do so, the option to download the config file was missing form the VRM portal. Reading the forum and Victron self help guides, it appeared I needed a firmware update. I followed the instructions for the update to the point as best I could assuming all was well only to find out ESS had stopped working after I had finished the update. I have tried everything!. I have re-uploaded the config fil from EV Configure 3 several times, I have checked the settings in the remote console, I have previous posted on the Victron Community forum trying to resolve this issue which has given me other things to try but still no luck getting the inverter to invert automatically.

1651867726345.png

I have been directed to load my 'rvms' file into the VE Bus Configurator but I have no RVMS file and no one seems able to tell me where to find the file.

The company I purchased the unit from don't have a clue, they only know how to sell products so they are a waste of time. There is no apparent information on the Victron website on how to resole this specific issue.

List of relevant setting / info from within VRM Remote Portal

• Multiplus-II 48/5000 / 70-50 / Switch / On
  • Product ID 2623 Firmware Version 496
  • VRM instance 275
  • VE Bus version 2623496
  • Mk2 version 1170212
  • Setting / Firmware / Firmware Version v2.85
  • Setting / Remote Console / Enable on VRM / 'On'
  • Setting / System setup / AC Input 1 / 'Grid'
  • Setting / VRM online portal / VRM two-way communication / 'ON'
  • Setting / ESS . Mode / Optimized (with batterylife)

1651867224159.png1651867300462.png

List of relevant setting / info from within VE Configure 3 (Then uploaded via VRM)

• General / External Current Sensor - tick
  • General / Enable Battery monitor - tick
  • General / shore input limit / 50A
  • General / Overruled by remote - unticked
  • Inverter / output voltage - 230v
  • Inverter / shutdown on SOC - tick + SOC shutdown 20%, low restart 50%
  • Charger / Enable charger - tick
  • VS / Do not use VS - tick
  • Assistants / ESS

1651867078833.png1651867103972.png

Link to video showing settings used in the above

https://youtu.be/4mfR03xg8G0

Again, any help in resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated. I thought the firmware update had failed as ESS stopped working after the firmware update but with the advice recieved and the information available on the Victron website, it now appears to be something different. Is there is inverter limiter hidden somewhere in a setting. Comments and suggestions please. I'd be happy to share my screen with some one via Teams or Zoom.

ESSfirmware updateVEConfigure 3VE.Bus
1651867078833.png (30.4 KiB)
1651867103972.png (25.1 KiB)
1651867224159.png (27.1 KiB)
1651867300462.png (21.0 KiB)
1651867726345.png (27.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·

Right............ with a lot of help from @Rob Duthie and going though absolutely everything, we found the issue. After the firmware update, as I mentioned, the ESS stopped working so I started to remove parts of the system to simplify the arrangement to reduce the number of possible causes for the issue I was having. One of the items I removed the current sensor assistant in VE config3 for the 40A current sensor I have on the PV connected to AC out1, but I did not actually physically remove the wiring for the sensor therefore it was still connected and therefore still sending that small current to the inverter. After a day and a half messing around, we went to remove the current sensor on the AC-in to try that but first I removed the current sensor on AC-out, as soon as I did, the ESS started working and the inverter started inverting!

I've been pulling my hair out over this. I've reinstalled the config file so many times, changed settings, PV on, PV off, and so on and all it was was a unused senor still connected to the Multiplus.

A big thank you to @Rob Duthie for your time and expertise help on this. You're a legend!.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

If you want help on setting up and ESS system just email to arrange zoom or team etc.

raduthie@gmail.com

Regards

Rob D

NZ

1 comment
2 |3000

Jason - UK avatar image Jason - UK commented ·
Hi @Rob Duthie ive just sent you a email. Thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·
atwijukye avatar image
atwijukye answered ·

@Rob Duthie thank you so much for being so helpful. I enjoy reading comments on this community and how people sacrifice their time to help others. I am running victron 5000gx muliplus but I fear going into ess though I want it

2 comments
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·
Hi Atwijukye

Did you get your problem sorted?

0 Likes 0 ·
atwijukye avatar image atwijukye Rob Duthie commented ·
@Rob Duthie

I am still not comfortable in configuring my system to ESS though that's my preferred option. I fear I might damage my system so i switched off the Ac input and I only switches it on manually when my battery SOC needs boost up. I also run an Orion tr DC TO DC converter for DC lights but I don't know how to connect it to the charge controller so that they can be switched on in the evening and off in the morning

0 Likes 0 ·
davidpalmer avatar image
davidpalmer answered ·

@Jason - UK I have found your excellent installation and it looks very similar to what I have planned for our home. We have a 20 panel PV array currently going into a SunnyBoy inverter to which I would like to add a LARGE repurposed EV battery (70-100KWh) to power the house and a ground source heat pump for hot water, underfloor heating and upstairs radiators. We are fully insulating the loft and all external walls of the house and fitting triple glazing throughout. The PV produces 4800KWh/pa which I am hoping will make a meaningful part of the consumption after these measures are in place, with the deficit made up with night charging of the battery and possibly the addition of solar heating if a water tank is the way forward. I have questions about your installation and wonder if you might be prepared to share some of your expertise with me? Sincerely, David

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @davidpalmer Ive made several changes since this original post. Ive actually updated the schematic that is within the photos several days ago. Im happy to run though my installation with you. Im currently enjoying 14 months with out a electric bill. The perks of being a customer of Octopus Energy. Where abouts are you located? In assuming your in the UK?

1 Like 1 ·
davidpalmer avatar image
davidpalmer answered ·

Hi Jason, yes, we're outside High Wycombe. A year without an electricity bill sounds very good indeed!! my main questions relate to your battery: how does your charger/inverter communicate with it and why (assuming it is working to reduce your expensive day electricity by charging with cheap rate night electricity for use during the day) is it not a big enough battery to supply all your needs during the day? I would like to install a repurposed EV battery sufficient to take everything that our PV array can generate over a few days, with night charging to bring the battery up to a specified minimum (say 25%) necessary to run the house on a cloudy day. Does that sound realistic to you?

1 comment
2 |3000

@davidpalmer My battery size is based on ROI. The sweet spot for me was 20kWh. When I went above 20kWh, the ROI went up because it only benefits less than 10% of the year for me. It worked out much cheaper just to use that peak rate electric for the odd occasions and to shift as much of my energy consumption into off-peak - washing machine, charging power tool batteries, charging ESS batteries, HWS generation from the ASHP, high temperature heating run and so on. If I bought another 2 tesla battery units, £1,600 but only saves me £150 a year on my current rates whereas the set up I have now will have paid for itself in 9 months time, a ROI under 2.5 years.

Another thing to consider is battery technology is improving every day. Do you want to invest in battery that could well be outdated in a couple of years?

With regards to a 'BMS', I have a 2-wire interlock with over-voltage and under voltage. Each unit has a balance board which is connected to a relay that fails to safe in a over voltage situation. My 2-wire interlock is also connected into a smoke and heat fire alarm with relay base for added protection, noting it inherently a DIY BESS. The inverter can only do down to 40.8v in ESS mode, and only down to 36v in off-grid mode, both greater than the battery minimum voltage as the tesla batteries are 22.2v nominal, not 24v. I also carry out quarterly cell checks to make sure the cells are in balanced.

A week ago, with the cold period we were having, I was running out of battery by mid afternoon, my consumption when its that cold is about 60kWh per day. I'd need a full tesla battery pack for that duty. Yesterday I got a full charge from the solar generation soa good day yesterday. It is a bit of hit and miss with the weather at the moment but it still doesn't add up to invert in more batteries just yet.

Another thing to concider, if you did buy a full EV battery pack, how long would it take to change? My 5kva unit has a 3.3kW charger inside it. It takes 5.7 hours to charge my tesla batteries from 'empty', 40.8v to 50.4v. I only currently have a 4 hour off peak window so it is not possible to fully charge my batteries each night as it is. I'd have to have 2no 5kva Multiplus units, again, not worth the ROI.

Also because I am charging my batteries during my off-peak period as well as powering other devices in that same period, during the winter, I can be pulling 60 amps with just the house loads. As the Multiplus is limited to 50 amps, it throttles back to limit the power though the unit to 50 amps by reducing the charge rate. Stick a EV charger before the Multiplus and im maxing out my 100amp supply in the winter so no point in that extra Multiplus because it wont do anything anyways when my supply is already maxed out.

1 Like 1 ·