question

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) asked

Venus OS v2.90~3 available for testing

Good evening!

Right before Intersolar Munich in Germany (a big exhibition for us), a brand new version to test.

Various significant changes. The plan is that there will be a few more betas, and testing time ofcourse, before this is released. But no other large changes; to try and keep the timeline to official release reasonable.

All the best and have a good evening, Matthijs

Change log (compared to v2.85)

• Prepare for remote configuration of Victron products connected using the VE.Can comms. port: up until now, Remote Configuration is only possible for products connected using VE.Direct, as well as our VE.Bus product range. And this change is the one making up for that missing piece. The corresponding VictronConnect version is also available as a beta, see here.
  • Add support for new Carlo Gavazzi EM530 and EM540 meter. Sub-Family X and PFC is supported, part numbers:
    • EM530DINAV53XS1X
    • EM530DINAV53XS1PFC
    • EM540DINAV23XS1X
    • EM540DINAV23XS1PFC
  • Add option to configure the UI to show all temperatures in Fahrenheit.
  • Fix main battery temperature missing, or wrong value shown, sometimes on the VRM Dashboard.
  • Add Venus OS Large to the standard build. To learn what Venus OS Large is about, read here.
    • Having this in the standard build is rather good news. It (a) removes the need for the large images to now and then be built manually. And (b) you can now, once v2.90~3 is installed, in the menu, select the large image and update to that, see Settings -> Firmware -> Online updates -> Image type (normal vs large). And (c) Venus OS Large can now be updated using the Online update system. However: there seems to be a bug in (b). More news about that later.
    • Note that node-red no longer runs as root.
  • Add various new VE.Bus models (Quattro-IIs and MultiPlus-IIs)
  • Prepare for (or possibly even finish, I'll confirm later) Generator control widget on the VRM Portal website. Note that this includes various underwater changes to clean some things up, which should not make any effect.
  • Add daily tracker history for Inverter RS and Multi RS, including transmission to VRM.
  • Add first implementation of RV-C support. Its mostly RV-C out, ie making information of the Victron system available on the RV-C network where RV systems can pick it up to show in their user interfaces. Detailed spec will be published later.

DVCC:

• Force good settings for the FreedomWON eTower batteries: DVCC on, SVC and STS off.
  • Better handle BMS disconnection issues: in some cases the solar chargers would not start showing Error #67 when unplugging the BMS. Now they do.
  • Detect Dyness batteries, so they no longer show up under as a Pylon battery. Settings remain the same: DVCC force enabled on, SVS and STS force enabled off.
  • Inverter/chargers: show state as "Ext. control"; instead of Bulk or Absorption, when controlled by a BMS/DVCC. When controlled by a BMS the inverter/charger would never show float, which caused questions. Now it just shows externally controlled, simpler, and more accurate: there is no bulk -> absorption -> float charge algorithm when controlled by BMS.

Less relevant for most users:

• GX LTE/GX GSM: prepare for allowing user configuration of PPP username and password, which some providers need. Note that this can't be used yet, gui change is pending.
  • Prepare for the new coming model of the VE.Bus BMS, aka VE.Bus BMS v2; including remote firmware updates of the BMS.
  • EV Charging station: add support for future models (AC22NS & AC22E) as well as some other preparations of features that can't be used yet until a future Venus OS beta version.
  • Prepare for Widgets, a feature coming in next version of VRM App for iOS and Android.
  • Update Linux kernel from 5.10.42 to 5.10.109, which updates to LTS for security issues and bug fixes, also adds support for Cerbo B1 and Ekrano, and adds ntfs support.
  • Update Open Embedded Dunfell branches: various fixes to low level systems and tools.
  • Various stability fixes to the xupd & xupc tools (which are part of remote firmware updates)
  • Transmit default gateway to VRM as well as CPU temperature; for debugging.
  • Add pre/post hooks to installation from USB stick: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/issues/853
Venus OS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

9 Answers
houser avatar image
houser answered Ā·

Hello,

Good news! Not sure what to do with all my USB sticks and my time now ;)

Updated on a non-critical system from 2.8.large 25 large beta on a Venus GX and it updated ok apart from one thing: The Node Red dashboard is missing in the VRM menu.

It is there if I add /ui to the url manually, but the big blue dashboard icon appears to be missing. FWIW. Many thanks!

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Thanks! Will be looked into
0 Likes 0 Ā·
dirkmuc avatar image dirkmuc commented Ā·

Hi,

just made an online update from large 2.82 to 2.90 via remote console on my Pi4 2GB. Went super smooth without any issues. In the VRM I see Node-Red (the big blue dashboard icon) and can access it.

My REC-BMS is lost, but this is not a Victron problem. To get it back I have to go onto the command line, like always.

Thanks Victron for your development!

BR

Dirk

0 Likes 0 Ā·
jokani avatar image jokani dirkmuc commented Ā·

I have a REC-BMS as well your comment makes me wary of updating to this version. Any chance you could expand on the issue & solution?

0 Likes 0 Ā·
dirkmuc avatar image dirkmuc jokani commented Ā·
I use a Pi4 with a PiCAN 2 DUO HAT. With every Venus OS update I have to bring the CAN-Bus HAT back to life to get communication with the REC BMS back. It takes just a couple of minutes, but it has to be done on the command line.

If you use a Victron Cerbo GX I think you will not have any problems.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered Ā·

Will the Raspberry PI builds be updated to the new kernel as part of v2.90? This is especially needed for the RPI 4 with the new v1.4 and v1.5 boards not booting or not running completely with the v4 kernel.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
I donā€™t know yet if weā€™ll make v2.90 with that.
0 Likes 0 Ā·

I can't seem to find how to enable Large features. After installing v2.90~3, I see Normal/Large in the online updates but when I check for an update it says No newer version available.

The Venus OS Large features submenu is not showing in the Settings menu.

Is there an option somewhere to enable signal K and/or node red? Or is this still a different image and the online update is just not showing the option?

2 comments
2 |3000

Hi Kevin, to install the large inage, you -for now- still need a usb stick and use the offline method.
0 Likes 0 Ā·
vassilis-bourdakis avatar image vassilis-bourdakis mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

to clarify, you mean that if you have a "normal" VenusOS installed you have to go through the offline USB stick procedure to move to the Large!

Because I just updated a 2.82Large backup system I have at home on an old rpi4 and 2.90 came up through the online method

Only comment is that I was confused as for 2-3mins it was showing the original Firmware screen, while underneath it was preparing the installation - I was on remote console.

Eventually remote console failed, and a few mins later it was up and running with 2.90 and Kevin's tools all still intact.

many many thanks!

V.

0 Likes 0 Ā·

I found the degree F/C selection in Display & Language / Units.

Would it make sense to move other things there too like tank volume unit?

Right now tank volume is global but is set in each tank device.

Are there other parameters like this (time/date format maybe?)

Yes, I have disabled GuiMods and SetupHelper.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi Kevin, yes probably. Iā€™ve just focussed on the one thing for now - too many other things :-)
0 Likes 0 Ā·
zl2fae avatar image
zl2fae answered Ā·

Nice!!!

Keen to try it. Avoided node-red previously as I feared system bloat. Nice & tidy now ?

1 comment
2 |3000

mattsmith avatar image mattsmith commented Ā·
Been running it for months. Like you I originally wanted to keep them seperate as I was concerned... not any more :-)
0 Likes 0 Ā·

I'm interested in the new pre/post scripts for the venus-data mechanism. I've looked at the code but could use some additional guidance on how to create the archive.

Additionally, it is difficult to make this mechanism backward compatible. The old and new mechanisms still use the same file name: venus-data.tgz (or .zip) so it's not practical to have both versions available to cover pre and post v2.90 firmware.

Some time back, I proposed the idea of having a simple mechanism to do blind installs, much like the autoexec.bat in MS DOS. The v2.90 changes still require building an archive that includes the data and scripts.

5 comments
2 |3000

Hi which part donā€™t you understand about those scripts? Have you read the commit message that adds them?

Wrt auto exec.bat: yes thats an alternative approach. What I like about this one is that its all in one file. Less mistakes by users.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented Ā·

Matthijs, I just read the commit comments. What wasn't really clear is where the scripts are placed in the archive but I think I get it now.

I think I can also make a single venus-data.tgz work with Venus OS prior to v2.90 and after.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Kevin Windrem commented Ā·
Hi Kevin, this new method does pose an advantage: to be able to check something on the target device, prior to unzipping. And then by exit code make it either continue or not with the unzipping.

We needed it for something. Just now canā€™t remember what. In a few weeks Iā€™ll look at this again doing v2.90 official release and then updating venus os root access document accordingly.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·

I'm warming to the mechanism you have implemented to v2.90. I like the flexibility, especially the ability of the pre script can preventing further processing. I plan to use that for SetupHelper. I can set a flag file that prevents the blind install from occurring again. The problem is that some people leave the media that has venus-data.tgz plugged in so the blind install starts again with the next boot.

With the pre/post scripts, I'm not going to have to reboot after a blind install of SetupHelper! That's a good thing.

I'm wondering if this update-data mechanism could trigger on media insert rather than boot. I do similar things in PackageManager for automatically loading packages from removable media. In many cases, a reboot is not necessary at all.

There's also the issue of VRM logging taking over the removable media, making it difficult to unmount. I think you have that as another open issue somewhere but I didn't see an ask for logging when inserting media in v2.90~3.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ Kevin Windrem commented Ā·
Good. Vrmlogger issue remains to be sorted; still open
0 Likes 0 Ā·
vassilis-bourdakis avatar image
vassilis-bourdakis answered Ā·

not sure what I've missed, but remotely updated the boat rpi3B+ from 2.80Large to this 2.90.03, I can connect via VRM, dashboard et al fine, BUT venus.local stopped working (for both ssh and http access). Was working prior to the upgrade (tested it as I wanted to check and jot down some settings in case it needed them again)

anyone seen this?

from the VRM I can get into the remote console just fine, checked all the settings, upgrade has kept them intact, didn't have to configure a thing. Wonder if there's a setting that escapes me that needs editing/resetting.

anyone?

cheers

V.

3 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented Ā·
Seems to work OK for the non-large version of v2.90~3. Maybe something about the large version?
0 Likes 0 Ā·
vassilis-bourdakis avatar image vassilis-bourdakis Kevin Windrem commented Ā·
don't think so!

forgot to mention that earlier today I upgraded a rpi running 2.82Large and venus.local works there.

OK, it's on the same subnet (both at home) hence me going to the boat now to connect locally and see what's going on.

V

0 Likes 0 Ā·
vassilis-bourdakis avatar image vassilis-bourdakis commented Ā·

hm,

memory fading...

Had ZeroTier One configured to access it from mobile and homeoffice pc. Following update looks like zerotier hasn't survived, or the autorun procedure is disrupted, will check tomorrow.

Indeed I have access from local network, so all fine.

EDIT: sure enough as always after an system upgrade, you have to recompile/configure zerotierOne and rejoin your private network. All working fine now.

V.

0 Likes 0 Ā·
Holger Watermann avatar image
Holger Watermann answered Ā·

Great -

for the first Time the CAN-Status-Data is chown correct in the statusmenu.

(raspberry with can-hat)

2 |3000

dansonamission avatar image
dansonamission answered Ā·

Are you able to share any more information on this change?

• Prepare for Widgets, a feature coming in next version of VRM App for iOS and Android.
2 comments
2 |3000

Not yet, sorry. Once we release it there will be a blog post explaining all the details
0 Likes 0 Ā·
dansonamission avatar image dansonamission mvader (Victron Energy) ā™¦ā™¦ commented Ā·
Thanks!
0 Likes 0 Ā·

Related Resources