question

rns avatar image
rns asked

Shunt doesn't connect via ve-direct

I created a GX with a raspberry PI and created the ve-direct cable myself. This cable works fine with my smartsolar but doesn't connect with the shunt. Same issue with the shunt connecting to a PC. Also here the smartsolar works fine.

Is there something special to configure in the smartshunt before it connects the ve-direct bus ?

SmartShuntVenus GX - VGXVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

What logic level is your cable? MPPT is 5V TTL and SmartShunt is 3.3V TTL.
Always better to use a digital isolator in the cable to offer automatic level shifting as well as galvanic isolation. Something like SI8422.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rns avatar image
rns answered ·

But if I would have bought a ve.direct cable there is only one model so what is the difference with my cable ?

1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
The original Victron cable has a digital isolator in it, so it can take care of the level shifting between 5V and 3.3V logic levels.

If your cable does not have the ability to perform level shifting then that is a difference.

0 Likes 0 ·