question

eric-heiberg avatar image
eric-heiberg asked

Wrong SOC % in CCGX (Easysolar 24V -3kVA )

Hallo !

On the display on my CCGX it shows that the SOC is at 46% although the battery voltage is at 28,2 volts -which should be approximately 90-95%.
(I have checked the battery itself with an external voltmeter and get the same voltage: 28,2 volts )

How can I get the CCGX to show the right SOC %?

I have tried to open out the VE Configure after downloading it to my MAC but I cant find the program to open it (the .rvsc -file) . I would greatly appreciate help on how to get into the VE Configure on my MAC.
Do I need to use the VE Configure to solve my problem of SOC % ....or can I do something directly on the CCGX or maybe the VRM?

Could the problem of having 46% SOC be a result of the battery no beeing balanced?

Balancing / Equalization:

The battery is a Lithium Ion battery (approx. 10 kwh) from recycled electric car batteries (Mitsubishi Miev) - and have been working very well since I got the system a year ago.

The maximum voltage should be 28,7 volts for balancing....but now it goes to float at 28,2 volts. The highest battery voltage (in overall history in the CCGX) according to the MPPT (150/70) is 28,67-so maybe the issue here is that the cells have not been balanced?

I have chosen "Equalization" on the CCGX under Advanced...and it shows: "Starting..." . The battery in at 28,2 volts as mentioned -when will the equalization (balancing) start? And it seem that if I go to another menu on the CCGX the equalization stops....-is that right? Do I need to leave the display of "Starting..." to remain in order for it to equalize ?

I would be very happy for help on this :-)

-Eric

CCGX Color ControlEasySolar All-in-OneSOCBattery Balancer
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eric-heiberg avatar image eric-heiberg commented ·

Hallo !

It appears that I have solved the problem of incorrect SOC % in the CCGX display (which showed that SOC was at 46% although the battery voltage was at 28,2 volts).

Aftter reading about the solution here on the forum:

I set the absorption voltage in the Multiplus at 28,2 volt =below that of the MPPT, -and also the Float voltage to be sure at 28,1 volt.

Immediately the SOC in the CCGX showed 95% (battery still at 28,2 volts).

Problem solved :-)

I do not yet have access to the parameters for the MPPT since I do not have a bluetooth dongle, but from the CCGX I can reed that the Vmax generally i 28,34 -28,38 volts -so I assume this is the apsorption voltage setting in the MPPT.

The absorption period (of the MPPT) lasts for 9 minutes -is this a good length for absorption?

Once I get a bluetooth dongle I may adjust the MPPT settings higher along with the settings for the Multiplus.

I dont know whether the SOC problem hav occured because I have a lithium Ion battery pack (from recycled electric car batteries), but it seems like the solution is to make sure that the MPPT has higher absorption voltage relative to the Multiplus in my Easy Solar (3KVA -150/70).

I understand that my Multiplus now will not have optimal parameters for charing using a generator, but I have not connected a generator yet.

Is there anything I need to be aware of once i change the parameters for charging using the Multiplus/generator?

Does anyone know if there any adverse consequences of what I have done?

Eric

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hello Eric. This answer won't be complete. Just a few points for consideration.

The CCGX doesn't calculate SOC itself, but you can find where it's getting it from on it's screen. Given you have Li batts, it's likely the batt bms - or probably should be..

The V relationship with SOC in the case of Li batts will be quite vague, and effectively useless. So no point fiddling with charge settings if the batt bms is controlling the charge programme and reporting SOC. Essentially you have to trust the bms or fool with SOC settings there.

VEConfigure is for changing settings in the Multi section of your Easy, not the mppt. So only useful for ac input adjustments. If you must, use 'Remote VEConfigure' from the VRM portal. The MAC may work then, but I can't confirm. Unless you have a MK3 adaptor, an addon.

Your bms may not appreciate you fooling with 'Equalization' or suchlike settings either. It will have specific needs that need satisfying.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

raymond-nicolas avatar image raymond-nicolas commented ·

Maybe a question that can help others:

With a DiY lithium battery, (good choice, compared to the final price per kWh, which often allows to make a respectable storage.)

In our choice of BMS, must we therefore take into consideration the need for either a CAN BUS, or modbus, incorporates third-party lithium BMS, with the RJ45 connection that goes well to allow dialogue between our facility Victron (the Easy Solar in this case), and the BMS that we are trying to make dialogue

Is it enough to take this Allows real exchange between Victron system and DiY lithium batteries? Or it's not and it won't work in harmony so simply that?

Thks for precisions about it

0 Likes 0 ·
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Hi Eric, if the CCGX doesn’t get the battery info from a dedicated BMS it will try and use the info from the Multi. The fact that you do see SOC tells me the battery monitor has been enabled, but it might not be set up correctly for your battery type and it’s parameters. Rectifying that means you need to reprogram the Multi (EasySolar) To run veconfig you need a windows PC, as far as I know there’s no MacOS compatible app for that yet (waiting patiently). You can do it via Device list on VRM, then you don’t need the MK3 cable.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hallo M.

Thank you very much for your reply :-)

I think you are right here.

The company that sold me the Easysolar has said something similar -that Victron has based their programming on lead batteries, and they need to reprogramme parameters to fit Lithium Ion batteries.

You mention Device List via VRM - I would like to avoid the VEconfig. I have attached two pictures of my Romote Console .....do I have what I need?

(it says MK 3...)

I have recently updated firmware via the settings menu, but I am not sure if I have the latest firmware for the Multiplus (it says firmware version 413) -does the Multiplus need to be updated seperately?

Again -Thank you very much !

:-)

Eric

0 Likes 0 ·
multiplus-1.png (57.6 KiB)
multiplus-2.png (55.2 KiB)
firmware-update.png (55.6 KiB)
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

These setting charges are done in the Easysolar Multiplus, unless you have a BMV battery monitor

you need to set your battery type and charge voltages and also turn on the internal battery monitor, if you have external DC loads then you should install a BMV 712 battery monitor

1 comment
2 |3000

Thank you for answering Paul !

I do not have a bmv, nor DC loads.

Do I need to USE the VE. Configure to do this?

How do I turn on the internal battery monitor -I assume it is already on......isnt that where I get my wrong SOC % readings from ?

Thanks

Eric

0 Likes 0 ·
Charlie Johnson avatar image
Charlie Johnson answered ·

@Eric Heiberg "I have chosen "Equalization" on the CCGX under Advanced...and it shows: "Starting..." . The battery in at 28,2 volts as mentioned -when will the equalization (balancing) start?"

Do not equalize your Li batteries as you will drive them into the high voltage knee and irreparably harm them.

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks for the tip !

I

I see now my battery pack has a BMS that will cut off the battery from the system at high voltages and also balances -so equalization from the Easysolar doesnt apply to me.

However, I have chosen equalization - is that "order" still in the system ?

Does the system wait for sufficient voltage in (solar og generator) before it starts equalization?

I would like to be certain that the equalization process is inactive -how do I know?

Eric

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

You can do the updates without a MK2 or MK3.

you can use the VRM site to do this

select device list there is also a posting the forum about this as well

you still nee to use the VE config program though but thats downloadable

select the below download the mutis configuration then modify it and save it then upload the changes

1554037141704.png (29.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources