question

thepilot avatar image
thepilot asked

Quattro G99 setup?

Hi

I'm looking at using a Quattro 48/8000 for a grid tie ESS setup in the UK. I would neeed to apply for a G99 Type A connection. Has anyone done this already? I see that the Quattro shows as "Awaiting Assessment" in the ENA Type Test registar so just wondering on the chances of it being accepted?

I want to use the Quattro model for the higher AC throughput, and also the two AC input and Output feeds so it would be better than multiple other models.

Thanks

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thepilot avatar image thepilot commented ·
Ok, if no one has done this, has anyone done a G99 Type A connrection request with any Victron Inverter/Charger?
0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw thepilot commented ·

I have a number of examples of Victron Multiplus-II 3 & 5 ESS installations and they are no problem. Connection of any power generating equipment to the DNO's network will require either a G98 notification or G99 application. Given it falls under micro generation it should not be a big deal for the DNO, although they all seem to view/process things slightly differently depending on their networks capacity. The 8/12/15kVA Quattros are now compliant and I suspect may still require the Ziehl unit as fixitbaz mentioned. 0b35ca6e-b65d-4f8e-a52e-f4a925b4a3a4.jpeg

1 Like 1 ·
mouthisi avatar image mouthisi ejrossouw commented ·

As of this last week, I noticed the Quattros are no longer listed as compliant on the ENA website, presumably as they require the extra UFR1001-E and contactors to make them compliant (2 series switches, single fault, etc). Please correct me on any of this for accuracy - we can presumably use this relay control device to request a fully compliant setup later on.

Our two Quattros (10 and 15kVA) are already purchased and installed under G99 type A "alternative switched-only LV" as we didn't want delay in installing (obviously not-ESS). Interesting how dynamic the required regs are turning out to be, especially between different DNOs.

0 Likes 0 ·
mouthisi avatar image mouthisi mouthisi commented ·

Should add for detail that the non-compliance relates to the Limited Frequency Sensitivity Mode — Overfrequency (LFSM-O)

Is there any chance this will be updated via firmware?

0 Likes 0 ·
7 Answers
jamie-robinson avatar image
jamie-robinson answered ·

HI.

The multi plus 2 5000 is the largest inverter currently with G99 certification. The 8kw and 10 kw are said to be coming out soo but they still won't have the G99 certification yet. My advice would be to parallel up 2 5kw units.

I am currently doing a job which requires G99 certification and the forms are a bit lengthy but not impossible.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iammotorhomeless avatar image iammotorhomeless commented ·
Has anyone posted a 'walkthrough' on filling out these G99 forms

I have just bought a Multiplus 2 48/5000 and a 48v 100Ah battery system to start with. and might add a couple of solar pannels to top the batteries up

0 Likes 0 ·
thepilot avatar image
thepilot answered ·

Thanks Jamie

I wonder is it possible to install a Quattro without G99 cert? If the idea is not to feed back to the grid or is the simple nature of the Quattro Grid connected regardless if installed?

1 comment
2 |3000

rich avatar image rich commented ·
Hi, did you manage to find an answer to this? Im also interested in having a grid tied 48/8000 quattro, but as self consumption only, using ESs with feed in set to 0 just to charge batteries in case of low PV. Unsure if this still requires G99 as i wont be generating/feeding back in, and my understanding is that the Quattro is ok without additional Anti Islanding relays in the UK. Thanks
0 Likes 0 ·
Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·

@thepilot As a suggestion, and basically what I have done with my own set up, I got my G99 application completed for my 5.7kW solar PV system, which in turn gave me my export allowance, then I fitted my Multiplus II 5kVa inline with no G99 application as my export will not change, just at what time I export. As far as the network are concerned, there is no increase in the export to the grid therefore no need to submit a new G99. The reason I did that is when originally asking SSE about battery energy storage, they didn't have a clue.

1 comment
2 |3000

thepilot avatar image thepilot commented ·
Many thanks Jason, I've had lots of discussions with my DNO ranging from "If you don't export I dont need to apply, if you don't export but could then you need to apply, if you keep the export below 3.6kw then you can do a simple notification not apply, and even one comment was "it doesn't matter what level of solar and battery you have, if you dont export and have an anti-islanding device we dont need to know"

I will apply for the G99 however, Ive changed my system spec so not using the quattro now and the multiplus II is acceptable in my area so I'm going with that.

Just need to get more batteries which seem hard to purchase these days!

0 Likes 0 ·
fixitbaz avatar image
fixitbaz answered ·

I have a 10Kva Quattro ESS grid tied setup with 20 kw of pylontec batteries and had my DNO approved by SP energy networks at a max feed in of 6.6kw and they are also happy that it complies with G99 I got a consultant company to do the paper work for my DNO application as I have 10kw of PV panels so a fast track DNO was out of the question, the £250 charge for doing this application was money well spent.

As to feed in if there’s anyway of energy going back to the grid you need DNO approval even if you can set the system for no export you still need it. The 10Kva Quattro has the possibility of feeding back 8kva they are still happy even though I’ve only got approval for 6.6 kva as I can program it to feed in a max of 6.6 kva and lock it off with a code.

As the Quattro only has one isolation relay fitted I had to fit an additional victron anti-islanding panel see the photo of the G99 testing certificate.

8910bf9c-8100-4a2f-88b1-7972976a5865.png

1 comment
2 |3000

mrrikp avatar image mrrikp commented ·
Which company did you use to help with paperwork?
0 Likes 0 ·
kaz911 avatar image
kaz911 answered ·

Hi,

I unwittingly of @Fixitbaz endeavours are currently applying for a similar system - 10kw panels 20kwh batteries with Quattro 10kVa and anti island device.

I have not read the manual for the wiring of the anti island device yet so my drawing is "incomplete" draft drawing. But the attached is my "planned" installation in draft.

screenshot-2022-09-05-at-183917.png

comments would be appreciated :)

The anti island device might change the setup slightly once I've read the manuals. But the whole point is serviceability and flexibility. I know there are not drawn in breakers for the the panels - both AC and DC but they will of course be added.

But in short - everything can be "bypassed" - so Victron can be isolated - mains can be isolated - generator can act as mains (but only when grid is isolated away) - and house loads can be isolated from Victron - or house loads can be switch so either all "outputs" can be on the backup circuit for the Victron - or some loads can be put on the "no backup" circuit.

I would love to see @Fixitbaz installation drawings for the system approval!

/k

2 |3000

fixitbaz avatar image
fixitbaz answered ·

Hi Kaz911

Sorry I have no installation drawings but my system is straight forward below I will explain

10Kw PV panels DC coupled to 2 x MTTP then linked to 35kw of pylontec 3500 batteries then all this connected to a 10Kva Quattro and all this monitored and controlled via the Cerbo GX all my AC loads including my Zappi are on the AC critical output of the QUATTRO my anti island unit is connected between my Grid and the AC inpit of the 10Kva Quattro

fc8a49ff-227c-4de7-b00c-aad577a069ba.jpeg

2 |3000

kaz911 avatar image
kaz911 answered ·

thanks - looks great!

Did you do the install yourself? It is really hard to find anyone who know Victron for ESS usage here.

And how is it working out for your?

/k

2 |3000