question

jbrex avatar image
jbrex asked

easysolar 12/1600/70-16 MPPT handling big loads

Hi,

actually I've got a MP2 48/5000 and 14KWh battery system working in my house so some ideas of what might work do already exist... but:

I've been asked to build a smaller/cheaper solution for a friend and so I found the easysolar 12/1600/70 -16 and this would do for 80% of the usecases... but what happens if a load greater than 1300W is connected?

The AC1 will be connected via 16A fuse to (normal) grid, Batteries charged via MPPTs...

I'd like the inverter to handle the smaller loads in order to keep the grid-cost low.

When a big load comes, does the inverter deliver 1300W and rest comes from grid or will system go to overload?

And is it possible to connect the easysolar 12/1600.... (via GX) to VRM Portal for better remote control / Service?

Thanks for any information about the load handling / VRM connect.

Cheers,

Jens

offgridpowerassist
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

When switched ON AC input is passed direct to AC out. So default for load is that grid will be used when available, watch the AC input value in the settings, it's usually low to cater for camp site restrictions. If load exceeds AC input setting, the inverter will supplement from battery.

In charger mode, all AC out comes from the inverter. It will give a short burst of extra power, but after that the alarms go off and AC out is disconnected. Dirty loads may trigger this early at well below the rated values.

Easysolar is simply a multiplus compact and mppt in a single cabinet. So you need to configure the mppt and multi separately. Both are visible in VRM and the GX. Settings should be the same. But you may wish to tweak individually (e.g. solar voltages a touch higher to minimise grid use, although solar is supposed to take priority).

A lot of configuration can be done with the GX device, but for the multi I usually disconnect the CCGX and plug its cable into a MK3/USB adapter and configure the multi with VEConfigure on the laptop. I can never remember what to configure where. So I use Bluetooth for the mppt. In CCGX I usually only monitor/check.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jbrex avatar image
jbrex answered ·

Hi,

thanks for that answer. That's what I feared... the MP Compact is not able to drive an offgrid solution and just take so much power from the grid when own power capabilities are not enough.

Exampe that will not work: water-heater needs 2 KW... MP Compact delivers its max (1300W) and 700W are passed through from grid.

What is possible:

MP Compact will assist grid (eg only 1KW(4A) is possible rest will be added by Compact...

Nice for weak grid not nice for my needs as I want to reduce grid-bill.

So I have to add more braintime and research as budget is limited.

Regards,

Jens

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron Offgrid page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic