question

steve-warden avatar image
steve-warden asked

No load Current Draw from the Autotransformer

I have a 120/240vac. 32A Autotransformer.

I have attached a current clamp once switched on it is drawing 10a with no draw from the 120vac. the input rush current is also at 29A.

The transformer is attracting Bees it is humming so loudly.

Have I got a bad unit or is this to be expected?

Help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The input seems very wrong. Are you measuring across both neg and line? Unless you have a very fancy clamp meter, you can only measure across a single leg of the AC, either L or N, not both.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

steve-warden avatar image
steve-warden answered ·

So I am using a clamp across 1 leg to get the reading. I also attached a scope to record the inrush current. It would be nice to find out if this is what is expected of the unit - the 110vac legs are constant voltage so the unit is working. just the no load on output and still drawing 10a 'Just' to run!

2 |3000

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

That is not normal. The no load current should be very low. I don’t know what that number is but it certainly not 10 amps. The inrush figure is hard to comment on because a high inrush would be normal but only for a very short period of time. That means 29 Amps for 2 milliseconds may be ok but 29 Amps for a second is definitely not ok.

2 |3000

toddster avatar image
toddster answered ·

Was this issue ever resolved? I am getting the same thing with a new Multiplus Inverter/Charger. Under NO load, it initially consumes 2.2 amps (30 watts). After a couple of minutes, the unit begins buzzing and the current gradually ramps up to 9 amps.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic