question

andyg1 avatar image
andyg1 asked

installing Smart Dongle

I am trying to help someone in a remote location connect the victron VE bus smart dongle but there is already something connected to the J45 socket on my multiplus device. This could be a voltmeter or remote control unit but he wants these both left connected. How do you add the dongle?

VE.Bus Smart Dongle
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @AndyG1

There should be two RJ45 sockets on the Multi.

I am not sure what 'voltmeter' accessory would otherwise be plugged in to that port already?

But the Smart Dongle also includes a voltmeter function so it would replace it.

It's important to be aware there is a limitation that when a digital multi Control is connected, you can't use the Smart Dongle to control the on/off and AC input current limit (that will still be done on the DMC, and disabled in the app).

More in the manual here - https://www.victronenergy.com/live/vebus_smart_dongle_manual

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

andyg1 avatar image
andyg1 answered ·

My friend can't see where the RJ45 cable goes so it maybe something other than a voltmeter - but what it might be would be interesting to know so he can find it. It is definitely not a smart dongle as the factory didn't fit one.

Why are the sockets made so difficult to reach?

1 comment
2 |3000

Exactly where the ports are varies depending on which model he has, but they are all shown in the product manuals

They were intended for installer access only originally, the newer models have them much more accessible.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic