question

pontiki avatar image
pontiki asked

Point me to the right system

I'm looking for a system to build on my sailboat. She is 48 foot and will eventually be a liveaboard. I have zero electronics or devices currently, she has been stripped of everything including the wires. I have the Thunderstruck 18kw kit and 32 3.2v batteries. I will eventually get, but don't currently have, wind and solar power. I also do not have a switch panel. I need a simple system that I can install to use the batteries as a main power bank and to direct power to and from sources. Is there one pre-designed on this site that I can use? The batteries will be made into a 48kw bank. There is no BMS. This will be an electric boat, but I may buy a small generator in the future.

Edit: The boat is about an hour from Seattle, Washington. I've contacted two local dealers and both have told me that they only sell parts, they do not design systems. To be clear, I'm not asking for someone here to design a new system, I'm only asking which one of the pre-designed systems that are already on this website (or another, possibly) would be best for my needs.

system design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

The community isn't really here to answer this type of question.

You seem to have your requirements well defined. Best to talk to a dealer and let them give you options, pros and cons. They'll also be able to answer all the questions you're bound to have.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pontiki avatar image pontiki commented ·
Unfortunately, I've gone to two local dealers and they both have told me that they don't design systems, they only sell parts.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ pontiki commented ·

Not sure, but thisay help: https://www.victronenergy.com/where-to-buy

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I'd recommend getting a system properly designed for your particular needs. Your dealer would be able to provide much better advice than we can do remotely on the internet.
Indeed, it'd be a bit irresponsible of someone here to say you need this anbd that without a proper consultation and considered system design. It is a lot of money to spend, so it needs to be perfect for you.
Also, make sure you do have a BMS of some sort in your system. This is 10000% vital.

2 comments
2 |3000

pontiki avatar image pontiki commented ·

Unfortunately, I've gone to two local dealers and they both have told me that they don't design systems, they only sell parts.

0 Likes 0 ·
ponzoa avatar image ponzoa pontiki commented ·
It may help to mention the part of the world your boat is in. I can do this but only if it's in Spain or Portugal.
0 Likes 0 ·
knownot avatar image
knownot answered ·

pontiki - i as well as others here would be willing bat some ideas around. Start with the specs and restrictions you have (battery specs, maximum space for solar, inverter size required etc) and work on filling the blanks. wkirby is right though - it is a lot to spend and not get it right.

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Pontiki

Even Thunderstruck admit that "this can be a daunting task". They have some recommended agents.. https://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/installation.html?sef_rewrite=1

Even if they don't do Victron..

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic