question

neodude avatar image
neodude asked

SmartSolar MPPT 100/30 compatibility with miniBMS?

Hi there,

Does the SmartSolar MPPT 100/30 model correctly stop charging a Victron Lithium battery (e.g. in a high voltage cutoff scenario) when connected to a miniBMS's charger port, with the VE.Direct non-inverting cable? This is currently how I have my system set up, but when I disconnect the cable from the solar controller, the controller does not stop charging the battery, as it should due to the low / free floating signal on that port. Is there a setting I am missing on the solar controller to enable this behavior?

I've heard of using a BatteryProtect between the battery and the solar controller, but I was hoping to avoid another component in the system.

Thanks!

MPPT ControllersLithium BatteryBMSVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You said that you are disconnecting the cable from the solar controller, as a test I presume?
Disconnecting the VE.Direct non-inverting cable from the MPPT will have no effect, as you have discovered.
What happens if you disconnect the yellow wire from the "Charge" terminal of the MiniBMS? When this yellow wire is floating it will then instruct the MPPT to stop charging. The VE.Direct non-inverting cable must always be connected to the MPPT for it to work.

You don't need a Battery Protect, only if you want to control the loads on or off.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.