question

Elimac avatar image
Elimac asked

Adding another inverter to the same system

Is it possible to add a second (smaller) inverter to a system managed by Venus GX and in which there is already a Multiplus? The AC out would be independent to feed some specific loads. Can the power consumption of the 2nd inverter AC out still be monitored?

There would be a time in Which the Multiplus would work as charger and the smaller inverter would keep inverting. I don't know if this is feasible and controllable by the same Venus device.

inverter current draw
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

It is possible by connecting the second unit to the Venus device via a MK3 to USB cable, but the Venus would only be able to control the unit that is connected to the actual Ve.Bus port. The second device will be visible in the device list.

Why not just use a second multi identical to what you have, and run it parallel with the first one and have that feed all the loads?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

saturnengr avatar image saturnengr commented ·

I'm looking do do the same thing on my RV. In my case it's because I have two use cases that I'm using the inverter for: Case 1 = 1600W running the microwave on a RV. Case 2 is basically running nothing, perhaps a TV, or perhaps just standby power. The Multiplus 24/3000 inefficiencies at such low power mean that between the self-power and inefficiencies, My self consumption is 2X the power that I'm consuming. I completely understand why, so I'm not complaining. But a smaller, 250W-500W inverter would be able to power the smaller loads that are running 95% of the time, then I can enable the Multiplus to handle high power loads when I need it.

Note -- there is also the use case where I'm using external power, either generator or shore power. But wasted power is not as big an issue as when I'm using battery power.

Setup: 24V/200AH LiFePo4 battery. Victron Multiplus 24/3000, Dual Victron SolarBlue 100/30, BMS700, Venus GX controller with external WiFi dongle. Also 3rd party inline surge protection for shore power coming into the MultiPlus

0 Likes 0 ·
justmurph avatar image
justmurph answered ·

Did any of you come up with a good solution here? I have a similar predicament on my boat...

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic