question

macca avatar image
macca asked

Vehicle Bc/Dc 20amp charger feeding Victron Dc/Dc 12/12-30 charger in Caravan

Hi ,

I have a question and would like some recommendations?

I have just purchased a caravan which has a Victron DC/DC 12/12-30 non-isolated charger installed feed 2 Lithium batteries. My tow vehicle is a Toyota 200 series which has a Redarc BC/DC 1220 charger installed charging and isolating my auxiliary battery from my start battery.

My auxiliary battery feeds power to an Engel socket in the rear of vehicle and to an Anderson plug which feeds into the DC/DC12-30 victron charging the 2 lithium batteries.

Is having 2 DC/DC chargers on the auxillary system OK?? 1 - Redarc feed the auxillary battery and then the auxillay battery then feeding the Victron Charger?

Hope I’ve explained this clearly

orion dc-dc
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Should work, but you may lose too much voltage over the cables/connectors to the caravan. Also the redarc will not keep up with the Orion, so the Orion will take charge from the aux battery in the Toyota.

Might work better if you swap the positions of the redarc and Orion. Or wire the Orion to the alternator direct, but make sure you're not overloading the alternator. You probably need a minimum of 100A to avoid alternator burn out.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources