question

jasonclipper avatar image
jasonclipper asked

Battery SOC data from NMEA

I have battery state of charge, temp, voltage (and lot's of other battery data) available on my N2K network coming from 3rd party sensors. Can I read this data from NMEA via Ve.Can into Cerbo GX and use this data to control Victron equipment (MPPT and Multiplus) attached via the Victron network (VE.Bus / VE.Direct)?

cerbo gxNMEA 2000 - N2K
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@jasonclipper

unfortunately no. Not out of the box. That does not work, unless you have a driver available to be able to read data from the 3rd party shunt into the Cerbo GX/Venus OS and then utilise it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jasonclipper answered ·

The data orginates from a mastershunt, then sent out to masterbus, then via a masterbus/czone bridge to the NMEA network. As said, my idea was to use this data from NMEA and make it available to a Victron network via the Cerbo. What driver / stack would you recommend. Can you give me a hint to relevant readings?

Thanks a lot for your comments/ideas.

1 comment
2 |3000

@jasonclipper

The most relevant document is about the dbus api: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/dbus-api

and how to add a driver: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/howto-add-a-driver-to-Venus

I think there exist a few example here in the community about how others have done it (just not for the specific problem you want to solve).

Another option could be to install Venus OS large image which includes Signal K and Node-RED. With Node-RED it should be easy to read (via Signal K) - all your N2K data will be in Signal K anyway - all necessary values from your Mastershunt/N2K and then further process them without going the route via your Cerbo.

1 Like 1 ·
jasonclipper answered ·

Thank you, I will "take a look".

3 comments
2 |3000

mattyroo avatar image mattyroo commented ·
@jasonclipper, did ypu get this working? It is a bollocks that Victron does not support SoC etc from the NMEA network to the Cerbo.

@Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff), any chance this could be put on the VoC for a future release.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mattyroo commented ·
Hi @mattyroo , I’m sorry but I don’t expect we’ll work on that anytime soon.

Matthijs

0 Likes 0 ·
mattyroo avatar image mattyroo mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
That's a shame. The Cerbo will read CAN messages of SoC (and more), such as from an Orion or REC BMS - so it would be really helpful if the Cerbo could read it from the NMEA network.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources