question

rattus avatar image
rattus asked

Victron (transformer based) Inverters: continuous discharge current from batteries question

Hello.

One of my local retailers has this following statement regarding Pylontech batteries:

"Transformer based inverters or Victron inverters specifically specify a 100% continuous discharge current from the batteries. As an example for the 5kVA Victron which is 4kW the battery requirement would be 4000W / 48V = 83A continuous discharge current from the batteries. In this case a full 3 x US3000 or 4x US2000 batteries would be required."

Could someone please show me where exactly on the datasheets of Victron Inverters, or in their manuals, this little nugget of information is. I'm at a loss. Is it even right?

multiple inverters
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Rattus

Not the exact same words, but this is a common Victron reference for Pylons.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Manufacturers only provide recommendations and guidance, in the end it is up to you to choose your config.

Not everyone reads battery specs or necessarily understands them.

There are plenty of posts on this forum, from people that undersize and then don't understand why.

Bottom line, if you expect to fully use your inverters capacity then you need to size the battery bank to do so.

Pylons are quite low spec compared to others, so you need more to do the job.

It really has nothing to do with victron.

2 |3000

rattus avatar image
rattus answered ·

To answer my own question, perhaps just a little further...

In correspondence with the retailer they said the following:

Their primary concern is in-rush currents in the caps of these inverters. There is nothing about this in the data sheets, however, which is why we have published this separately.
My guess is that it was never an obvious issue with lead acid batteries as their rate of current draw is not controlled since they don't have a BMS.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic