question

jm0278 avatar image
jm0278 asked

AC Out L1 Connected to Neutral Within Multiplus-II During Install

Hi,

I'm in the midst of installing a Multiplus-II 12/3000 2x120 and I'm checking the connections as I go with a multimeter. I just finished installing the AC Out 1 cable. The opposite end is NOT connected to anything at this time -- it's just bare wire ends. Using the meter, I register continuity as expected between the Multiplus-II wire block and the opposite end of each wire. EXCEPT that I also register continuity (tone sounds on the meter) between AC Out 1 L1 and Neutral.

The unit has not been powered up at all, and now I'm afraid there's an unintended short between L1 and Neutral in AC Out 1. Is it normal to read continuity between L1 and Neutral on AC Out 1?

TIA

Jim

Multiplus-IIinstallation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

Do you actually read a dead short or just continuity? There is a big transformer inside of the Multiplus that is always connect to AC_OUT. So are you just measuring the resistance in the transformer which is pretty low?

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jm0278 avatar image jm0278 commented ·
I just set the meter to sound a tone for continuity and the tone sounded. I don't know if there is a specific resistance value for the meter to decide whether or not to sound the tone.
0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake jm0278 commented ·
Yeah, you will get sound continuity through the transformer. That is normal.
0 Likes 0 ·
jm0278 avatar image jm0278 shaneyake commented ·
I think that's the answer. I just measured the resistance, and it's 0.4, not a dead short.

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic