question

safetythird avatar image
safetythird asked

Could a Multi RS Solar 48/6000 replace a Multiplus 2 for ESS?

I'm looking to install a battery storage system to compliment the 6kw (inverter limited to 3.8kw) of grid tied solar I currently have. I was looking at the Multiplus 2 with 4x Pylontech batteries and Cerbo GX. At a later date I'd like to add more PV panels for additional DC battery charging capacity.

However, everything I read about the multiplus says it's loud and, as it would be inside the house, I think it would be too noisy so I was looking at the Multi RS unit instead which is said to be very quiet.

I'm not sure whether the Multi RS could be used to switch over to an emergency backup circuit in the same way as there's no mention of switching in case of grid failure. Can it work in a similar way to the Multiplus 2, by which I mean use grid power at certain times and battery power at other times and also be programmed to charge at specific schedules for cheap night time rates. while when grid power is available not be pulling power from the battery unless needed.

The plan is to charge from solar when available, from grid during cheap periods and supply power instead of grid when battery power is available during peak rates. This seems to be what the multiplus 2 does but I'm not sure the Multi RS will do the same job.

I'd be grateful for some advice.

Multiplus-IIESSmppt rs
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

No, it does not have ACIN and is intended to provide AC power in off-grid scenarios only. https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Inverter-RS-Smart-Solar-EN.pdf

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·

Multi RS Solar 48/6000 does have an AC input. Different product that you linked.
https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multi-rs-solar

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw shaneyake commented ·

Thanks, good spot. Without e.g. DNO etc approvals at this time it may just not be marketed as such, but I don't know then ;)

0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

As far as I know the Multi RS Solar 48/6000 can not be used in an ESS system. It does support AC coupling but not ESS.

Maybe @mvader (Victron Energy) can clarify?

2 |3000

safetythird avatar image
safetythird answered ·

Ah damn. Thanks for confirming it, looks like I might have to look elsewhere than Victron in the end then as the multiplus is going to be too noisy and it doesn’t look like there’s another option in the range.

6 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
We sold and installed many Victron MultiPlus and got only a few complains about to much noise.

In the community or other forums you only read about the few people that have problems with the noise not the other hundreds of users without problems.

That makes it look like that there is a noise issue with the MultiPlus.

1 Like 1 ·
safetythird avatar image safetythird Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
I'm sure a lot of people are installing them outdoors or in garages etc, this will be inside the house next to the main living areas, pretty much any noise is going to be annoying. Our sunny boy inverter is silent and most others seem to be the same. Think I'm going to go with a simpler AC coupled system for now and consider additional PV at a later date.
0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake safetythird commented ·
If you don't want any noise I would go with Enphase Micro Inverters then. Some PV inverters still have fans.
0 Likes 0 ·
messier11 avatar image messier11 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
I was afraid of the noise, can be a bit sensitive myself, but so far lol I have barely heard my Multiplus II 48/5000 after a month.

One caveat is that my load is low in general, and I’ve only used higher capacity with heavier tools.

Perhaps it’s load if you use it close to max capacity for longer periods. But if you don’t, it’s totally quiet. Makes less sound than my laptop.

0 Likes 0 ·
You could always install the inverter outside in a cabinet with everything inside. Most inverters are too noisy from inside of a home.
0 Likes 0 ·
safetythird avatar image safetythird shaneyake commented ·
After finally finishing the renovation of our cottage, a cabinet next to the front door will not gain approval from my wife :) Besides, I'd like to keep it all inside so the temperature is moderated.
0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

in my opinion the noise is a non issue in a multiplus II unit. the fan is usually never on unless there is a high load or the area is not vented correctly, if the fan is off then its a quite as a mouse. my unit is in the main lounge room under the stair case, ie in a cuboard and we never here any operating noise.

2 |3000

silajay avatar image
silajay answered ·

I find noise not too important with this product. What matters is the octordle gain

2 |3000

pearse avatar image
pearse answered ·

There does not seem to be any answer to the OP question on the Multi RS Solar 48/6000 regarding use grid power at certain times and battery power at other times and also be programmed to charge at specific schedules for cheap night time rates. while when grid power is available not be pulling power from the battery unless needed.

The plan is to charge from solar when available, from grid during cheap periods and supply power instead of grid when battery power is available during peak rates. This seems to be what the multiplus 2 does but I'm not sure the Multi RS will do the same job.

Does anyone know if this is possible with the Multi RS Solar 48/6000 with Cerbo GX connected?

2 comments
2 |3000

Cerbo can talk to the Multi RS over CAN but does not do ESS.

For what you want to do, I would just get a multiplus-ii rather.

1 Like 1 ·
pearse avatar image pearse shaneyake commented ·

Many thanks for the answer shaneyake

Found another response from Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered · Aug 22 2022 at 7:24 AM EXPERT ANSWEREXPERT ANSWER

The Multi RS is currently in the testing for compliance phase for ESS installations, and as of today is not yet supported.

The Multi RS does not have grid code approval / certification for anywhere in the world.

The ESS implementation of the Multi RS will be different to the VE.Bus Inverter/Chargers (i.e MultiPlus-II).

When it is ready to be launched, it will be managed through VictronConnect, and will not require (or support) the loading of the ESS assistant through the VE.Bus based VEConfigure.

So it looks like I will have to go with the Multiplus-II as I could be waiting a long time to get Scheduled Charging in an Multi RS Solar 48/6000

Its a shame since it reads as a great piece of kit otherwise.

0 Likes 0 ·