question

wandering-parakeet avatar image
wandering-parakeet asked

Anyone ever had trouble using bluetooth in an aluminum camper?

I have an aluminum travel trailer. I'm thinking of using the SmartSolar controller and the Orion DCDC converter. Ideally I would like to monitor these from my tow vehicle while driving (especially the Orion). If the devices are inside the aluminum travel trailer, will the skin of the camper act as a "shield" and keep the bluetooth from reaching my cellphone in my truck?

Bluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Not easy to answer but yes I think the aluminum (or any other metal) will reduce the signal range or block it completely.

It will also depend on where in the camper the Bluetooth devices are placed, in the back or in the front (closer to the towing vehicle).

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

@Wandering Parakeet

Fully agree. If there is a window in the front of the caravan, may still work. But if you're going to test with other Bluetooth kit, be aware that some Victron kit is fairly low range. I'm not sure, but there may be Bluetooth extenders, like WLAN extenders.
0 Likes 0 ·
wandering-parakeet avatar image
wandering-parakeet answered ·

Thanks for the responses. I played around a little today, and I think I've confirmed what you have already said. I thought that I'd share my observations.

I used a high-tech approach to testing bluetooth reception... it included my iPhone and my wife's fit-bit wristwatch. I used the fit-bit as a bluetooth source. I downloaded a free app called "Bluetooth BLE Device Finder" on my iPhone to use as the receiver. It's supposed to help you find lost BT devices. The hard part was finding out which device was my wife's fit-bit... I had to put it in an empty aluminum cat-food can (with another can on top) to see which signal went away.

I laid in on the counter in my trailer, put my cellphone next to it, and looked at the "signal strength" associated with the fit-bit. It was around 72. I then put the fit-bit on the aluminum floor of the TT, where I planned to mount the DCDC. The aluminum floor may have interfered with the BT signal, because I got a signal strength around 53. I then went outside the TT (closing the door and leaving the fit-bit on the floor of the TT) and stood right next to where I thought the fit-bit might be... the strength was around 35. I walked around to the other side of the TT (driver's side of the TV) and the signal strength was 19. I got inside the truck and the signal strength was between 0 and 5. (The second time I tried the test, the fit-bit strength was 0, and it dropped off the list of observed devices). I'm inclined to think that both distance and metal are attenuating the signal. When I stepped inside the house (which has a brick front), the signal dropped significantly, so I think that the BT signal might have problems getting through other materials as well.

I tried a second test, using the BT feature on my Silverado to connect with my Iphone. I first made sure that I was able to connect in the cabin of the truck, and then tried doing the same while standing in the aluminum camper with the door closed. I was able to connect, but I had to try a few times. Even though the status said "connected", I'm wondering if I could actually send data. I'm not sure that this was a good test.

2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Bluetooth was originally conceived as low power, short range. If I remember correctly up to 10m/33 feet. This is line of sight, metal, walls, etc. reduce this a lot. There have been revisions to the standard increasing range, but range increases cost a lot more power. Many devices only operate in low range as a result. Victron equipment is built to be energy efficient and have minimum parasitic current.

If you need this monitoring on the move VRM may work for you. Or if you can find one a bluetooth range extender.

0 Likes 0 ·
wandering-parakeet avatar image wandering-parakeet kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

During a recent trip I confirmed that Bluetooth did not have connectivity. I had an Orion installed in my aluminum camper trailer, and was not able to connect to it from the inside of my truck. Thanks for the comments though. I'll consider the bluetooth range extender.

0 Likes 0 ·