question

power4me avatar image
power4me asked

3-Phase Multiplus-II ESS with Enphase - current sensor placement

I am planning a 3-Phase ESS with 3 MultiPlus-II, a Pylontech battery and would like to attach an AC coupled photovoltsic system with Enphase microinverters because of shading issues.

As long as the grid is available, the diagram below should work and Envoy would sense battery charging like another consuming device. Due to the built in backup capability of the MultiPlus-II it is not possible to place the grid-side current sensors the usual way between battery system and cutoff switch As soon as the grid there is a problem with the grid and MultiPlus-II cuts it off, the current sensor (light blue in the diagram) is cut off as well, so Envoy has no means to control the supported Solar energy.

b5545bb4-8895-4ccb-b4fc-06ab555e84cf.png

My concern is that the two systems MultiPlus and Envoy could counteract and hinder each other doing their job.

Can this sensor be placed that it works with and without grit?
Could Envoy get the current sensor data directly from the three MultiPlus-II?
Is there a direct way to control Envoy or the Microinverters from MulitPlus-II or Cerbo?

(This is my first post in an energy community and im not firm with the termIndology epecially in English)

Multiplus-IIESSAC PV Coupling3 phase
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
juergenal avatar image
juergenal answered ·

Hi,

I'm in the same situation as you at the moment. But I would say that the current sensors for the enphase have to be installed after the Victrons and not before, because the Victron says how the frequency and the currents should run and not the grid. And in the event of a power failure, a grid is set up and controlled by the Victron.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

power4me avatar image
power4me answered ·

If the sensor is insatalled after the victrons, an the grid fails, Multiplus opens the switch to the grid, so the current sensor will sense no current which leads to the question if envoy will shutdown the PV with it‘s anti islanding feature.

2 |3000

juergenal avatar image
juergenal answered ·

I meant after Victron of course at the AC1-Out and not at the AC1-IN

2 |3000

jorge avatar image
jorge answered ·

Hi power4me,

I'm currently working on a similar problem.

I have several IQ 7Plus and want to add a 3-Phase Multiplus-II ESS.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of people with a similar setup.

Did you make any progress?

2 |3000

juergenal avatar image
juergenal answered ·

Now I have the configuration running with Enphase and have also set a special off-grid profile. The sensors for current detection must definitely be connected between the grid and the Multiplus 2. I installed them directly at the output of my EM24. This means that the power reduction via the ripple control receiver also works. When you don´t need an ripple control receiver then you don´t need to install the current sensors.

2 |3000

mr-manuel avatar image
mr-manuel answered ·

Hello, currently I have the same situation, but I'm not able, that the IQ7A are producing power in an off grid situation. They only report "DC Power Too Low" or "Grid instability". The sun is shining and the IQ7A should produce at least 60% of their max power.

This is the measured frequency:

1683884570366.png

This are my MutliPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50 ESS settings (18S LFP battery):

screenshot-2023-05-10-110948.png

screenshot-2023-05-10-111009.png

screenshot-2023-05-10-111014.png

MultiPlus grid settings:

screenshot-2023-05-12-113900.png

screenshot-2023-05-12-113905.png

This is the selected Enphase grid profile:

bildschirmfoto-am-2023-05-12-um-113540.png

This is my system setup:

enphase-victron-energy-multiplus-ii-grid-forming.png

Would appreciate, if anybody can help with some input :-)

1 comment
2 |3000

mr-manuel avatar image mr-manuel commented ·

Upgrading the firmware of the Envoy to D7.6.168 (f1975b) and the IQ7A to 520-00082-r01-v04.30.23 solved the problem.

1 Like 1 ·