question

Matt Shea avatar image
Matt Shea asked

Lithium Installation

HI Newish to the community.

I have a narrow boat that currently runs on 4 x 6v 220ah flooded batteries. I have purchased a 200ah 160 continuous amp lithium battery has a built in BMS

My current setup is dual alternators, one to the starter battery and one to the leisure batteries.

When I purchased the lithium battery I also was told to get a Non-Isolated DC 2 DC charger which I did get but I now need to change over but as I am new to lithium I am looking at some help as to how to set this up.

12v electricians are either saying lithium is to new to them or wont install something they haven’t purchased so its down to me.

CURRENT SETUP

SmartSolar Charger MPPT 150/60

2 x 270W Solar Panels

Smart BMV 712 Battery Monitor

2 x alternator

1 - Alternator charging the leisure batteries

1 - Alternator charging the starter battery

4 x 6v 220ah battery in two banks of 12v

Multiplus 1600w invertor

—————————

NEW SETUP

SmartSolar Charger MPPT 150/60

2 x 270W Solar Panels

Smart BMV 712 Battery Monitor

2 x alternator

1 - Alternator charging the leisure batteries

1 - Alternator charging the starter battery

1 x Lithium 200ah 160amp

Victron DC2DC charger

Multiplus 1600w invertor

Lithium Batteryorion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Matt Shea

Your Li Battery supplier has suggested the Smart Orion to give you more precise control of charging Voltages, rather than use a coarse/unadjustable alternator regulator.

So you'd just remove the Leisure batt alternator, or maybe relocate it to the starter batt, parallel to the other alt.

Then the Orion wired to charge the Leisure batt from the Starter batt.

So you finish with two adjustable chargers for the new Li. Some thought will be needed setting it up. Like you don't want the Orion taking priority over the solar, so you'd make sure it's V targets are lower than the solar's, maybe even to the point of setting a flat 'Float' V in the Orion. Nor do you want the Orion draining the starter batt when the engine is off and the leisure still servicable. All in the adjustments..

Great you have the BMV, so you can watch what's happening. And maybe best to try to work it out yourself, then come back here if you have issues tuning it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

You could always keep 2 of the 6V flooded lead acid (FLA) batteries charged from the domestic alternator, but disconnect the solar and loads from the FLA batteries. You connect the solar and all the loads and the BMV to the new lithium battery. Then you connect the Orion from the FLA batteries to the new lithium battery via the BMV. This keeps the domestic and engine systems separate, but does mean that you keep a large buffer lead acid battery in place

2 |3000

Matt Shea avatar image
Matt Shea answered ·

So I have drawn out the setup I think I need to do, If I can get help with fuse sizes/shut-off switches and whereabouts they are due to be put into it.

electrical.pdf

tinytake18-03-2022-12-55-17.png

2 |3000