question

gcp avatar image
gcp asked

VRM doesn't show current RuuviTag data.

Since setting up Ruuvi tags in my camper, I noticed that VRM always seems to be displaying old data. Today the data displays as "last updated 3 days ago". I've changed the Ruuvi tag settings to "Keep the connection" and updated each tag to the latest firmware but still, the data is never current in VRM. I can open the RuuviStation app on my phone and get a real-time readout on all the sensors without any issues. Checking the tags with the Ruuvi app doesn't cause VRM to update either. I'm not sure how VRM decides to update the numbers, or if it's the tags themselves that are supposed to be sending the data. Anyone else seeing this issue?

screen-shot-2022-03-16-at-113515-am.png

Bluetoothruuvi sensors
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @gcp,

It is your GX device that sends the data from your RuuviTags to VRM. Make sure your RuuviTags are properly configured in Venus OS and are in close enough proximity to the GX device.

I have a dozen RuuviTags and have never experienced anything like this.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hakunti avatar image
hakunti answered ·

RuuviTag own application settings doesn't impact how GX is receiving the data. RuuviTags are just broadcasting the data without any two-way connections. So the issue is with the range, Venus OS settings, or GX Bluetooth range (external Bluetooth dongle is recommended).

It's better to disable to "Keep the connection" setting on the RuuviStation app if it's not important to use background scanning mode on iOS.

2 |3000

jjbond avatar image
jjbond answered ·

There's something bigger going on, same thing happened to me, I just noticed I no longer had my 5 Ruuvi's showing on VRM, I logged into the Cerbo and didn't even have them listed, nor did I have any bluetooth listed and the bluetooth light was out on the Cerbo. I had to go all the way back to 2.89 firmware to get the bluetooth to come back on and for the tags to show up again.. what the hell's going on with this firmware you pushed last month Victron?

2 comments
2 |3000

eric-tarkleson avatar image eric-tarkleson commented ·

I just asked a question about this also. Then I found the answer online. I think its recommended that you add a bluetooth Adapter to the Cerbo as the bluetooth functionality from victron apparently no longer supports anything other than setup.

https://ruuvi.com/ruuvitag-victron-bluetooth-dongle/
I found this on Ruuvi page. I feel like maybe victron can update their guidance on ruuvi tags, since they are definately cool and useful gadgets. But I am worried because I have some set up to monitor room temperatures to ensure the AC units keep the inverters cool for some larger solar and backup systems. Now I realize this was a mistake as its a critical function I added to a basically experimental feature.

0 Likes 0 ·
jjbond avatar image jjbond eric-tarkleson commented ·
Thanks, yup they rolled out new firmware which resulted in my needing to do this, was working fine before that but oh well... thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VictronConnect bluetooth troubleshooting guide

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic