question

surfsailspear avatar image
surfsailspear asked

System Check

I am adding two 24v 200w panels to my sailboat. They will each connect to separate Victron solar charge controllers, the controllers will connect to the positive and negative busbars of the house battery bank, which is two 200ah Chins LiPO4s. The alternator will connect to the start battery, and between the start bank (105ah AGM) and the house bank I will have a Victron Orion Smart DC2DC 30amp charger to handle charging from the engine.

I have two questions: Will the Victron 100/20 solar controllers be the right ones vs the 100/30? And in general, does this set up look correct?

Thanks in advance for your input.

system design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @SurfSailSpear

A pair of 75/15 mppts will probably be the 'right' ones (cheapest anyway), presuming your batteries are arranged as 12V. Run your panel specs through this to check.. https://mppt.victronenergy.com/#

That's a fairly simple system and looks fine. Maybe not enough panel for the battery size if you deplete them seriously overnight, but you still have the engine. And the option to add more of the same later if you choose.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

surfsailspear avatar image
surfsailspear answered ·

Thanks @JohnC for the input. I will go with the 2 75/15 controllers as you suggest as batteries are 12v. I’m thinking of adding another 200ah 12v panel down the line with another controller. I really appreciate your help. Best, SSS

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic