question

nelsontrzyn avatar image
nelsontrzyn asked

Upgrade to lifepo4 with current mppt/solar system and add inverter

Hi everyone. I hope someone can help me. I’ve got in my camper van from last year a system that’s included a MPPT 100/30 with victron solar 360W mono and bmv 712 smart. I’m using it with normal leisure lead acid battery 100ah. The load is 12v compressor fridge, lights and few things all at 12v. Sometimes water heater but is also 12v and as I remember it draw under 200w when on.

I want to upgrade for victron lifepo4 160ah battery and want phoenix smart inverter 1600 to use some 240v tools as vacuum, karcher, mitra saw and also want to connect my moped batteries to charger which is around 840W. I maybe in the future will buy another same battery but that’s all depends on how one will run under my needs it maybe fine.

I just couldn’t find exactly diagram for my setup. Could someone please advise me what battery protector I need and what bms? Or there is something different I maybe need? I will be getting all new components not second hand but try to not add to much as the battery with inverter is already over £2k. But if any of you guys think that there is something worth to add at this point to this system Im happy to hear any advise.

I’ve including the closest diagram I found to my settings and assume that the inverter will be connected to dc load. Will this setup be correct with two battery protector and Ve.bus Bms as well with the smart battery sense? Or there is something more suitable I should use?

I’m appreciate and advise. Thank you

1647162338694.png

setup
1647162338694.png (244.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Depending on how much you're going to use the AC size, you may find that the system is undersized. Solar is very variable and your 360W panel will only give this in good sunlight.

I don't think you need to battery protector.

The 12/200BMS should do the job. Get the smart version if you can.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nelsontrzyn avatar image nelsontrzyn commented ·
Thanks for you quick answer. I think the main is the moped batteries charger which is 840w but that’s when two moped batteries connected, one will only draw 420w. I may buy another lifepo4 160ah in the future. So the all components that I need (including the ones I’ve got already) are:

Solar 360w

MPPT 100/30 smart

Bmv 712 smart

Lifepo4 160ah smart

Phoenix 12/1600 smart

Bms 12/200 smart

Smart batter sense

Is that’s correct? Thanks

Jay

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ nelsontrzyn commented ·
You need more solar....
0 Likes 0 ·
nelsontrzyn avatar image nelsontrzyn klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Thanks for you reply. 360w panel was the biggest I can fit on to my van roof. I won’t be use the inverter so much. If the moped batteries charger use 420w with one battery and it probably needs to run for 2h will this work? As I’m assuming will only connect it when the sun is out and let’s say that solar will give 200w so the rest 220w will comes from fully charged battery and then once the charger are disconnected then solar will charge back battery or alternator as I’m used van for work. Or the one lifepo4 160ah definitely won’t run this? I want 1600 inverter just in case if I want to something bigger connect like vacuum but it want be longer then 5 minutes.
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ nelsontrzyn commented ·
The best response is that you can not use more energy than you can harvest.

I think that your current system is at it's full utilization regarding consistent energy throughput.

If you want to add additional loads to your system, you need to add extra charging sources. Be it a multiplus or mains battery charger, or a B2B charger should you be mobile for some time.

PS. dunno if the inverter will run a Karcher.

0 Likes 0 ·
nelsontrzyn avatar image nelsontrzyn klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

i only mention the karcher and vacuum as it will be good to be able to connect it for spending this sort of money on the setup but is not end of the world as I want use it only to clean the van rather than run a extension from my flat. I can charge my battery while driving from my start up battery/alternator and use the solar. At the moment I never go below 94% of charge and my van battery isn’t connected with my leisure battery. I only thought that if I’m going to change to lifepo4 then it will be good to have a inverter. My wife use the moped and she work 3 days a week. One trip to work and back use about 40% of the battery buy she needs to charge it every time as the moped below 15% goes to eco mode. So I thought rather then she takes the batteries to flat at second floor (they are heavy for her) to charge them from the van. I’m driving about 2h every day at lest so the alternator will charge the battery something. When we go away is most the time 1-2 days, the maximum I will say 3 days but rarely. So as I can’t put the another solar panel what power inverter will be fine for my setup? If I will go for 160ah lifepo4 battery. Or shall I just forget about it and stay with my lead acid as the system with this solar and alternator will wont work efficient with higher inverter? Thanks for you help

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

A 1600 VA inverter isn't likely to run a house-sized vacuum cleaner. Your best bet is to use a battery powered vacuum and charge the battery with either the inverter or a DC-DC charger.

If you have not done so, do both an energy and power estimate. Power is the sum of all devices you plan to run at the same time. Your battery will need to be able to provide that power without shutting down.

The energy estimate is the sum of power multiplied by time multiplied by duty cycle. So your compressor fridge might be 60 watts and run 24/7 but only run 30% of the time. So that's 60 * 24 * .3 or 430 watt-hours per day.

Your moped battery charge would be 840 watts * 2 hours or 1680 watt-hours per day. Depending on your location you may see 60-70% of the solar panel's rated output for 6 hours a day (maybe more or less), so 360 * 60% * 6 or 1300 watt-hours per day. With just those two loads, you are about 800 watt-hours short of what you'd need. You may be able to make that up with charging from the alternator while driving but that's a lot to make up with a 2 hour trip.

1 comment
2 |3000

nelsontrzyn avatar image nelsontrzyn commented ·

Thanks for you advise. I will have another think about upgrading. Consider everything and do some calculation. Thank you guys for all the help and advise. great forum

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic