question

mryoshii avatar image
mryoshii asked

Searching for the right BMS

Hello I have ordered 8x 280Ah LIFEPO4 batteries. Now I am looking for the right BMS. Since there are certainly some here who have more knowledge of the subject, I thought I'd ask. Especially because not every BMS is compatible with victron.

It is important that I can expand the BMS later because I plan to use at least 2x 8 packs in parallel.

Currently, I am leaning towards a Batrium BMS, as this looks pretty solid. The main problem is the price.

I am grateful for any help. Greetings Mr.Yoshii

Lithium BatteryBMSdiy
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·
We use a LOT of 123 smart BMS units and with there 123 usb add on you also have full DVL DCL CCL - we have never had any problems with this bms and have installed over 100 units - there is another one we looked at being TAO this also has great specs -

there are many brands and most of the known ones are good - but for price and features and ease of use the 123 fits this nicely

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Louis van der Walt avatar image
Louis van der Walt answered ·

There are a few BMS that work with a Victron setup. 123Smart and I think Batrium BMS has their own drivers. There is also a driver for the Chargery BMS and then also my driver that handles a few different BMS systems (JBD, ANT, JKBMS, DALY).

https://github.com/Louisvdw/dbus-serialbattery

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tomas-maldonis avatar image tomas-maldonis commented ·
So you connect victron bms via VenusOS from JBD?
0 Likes 0 ·
Louis van der Walt avatar image Louis van der Walt tomas-maldonis commented ·
With my driver the JDB BMS looks similar to a Victron BMS, yes. You add the driver to your GX device running VenusOS and then it will pick it up.
0 Likes 0 ·
tomas-maldonis avatar image tomas-maldonis Louis van der Walt commented ·
interesting. Doesn't it matter so long Venus OS run both original GX board and Raspberry? maybe same chipset? Id love try extra features exact same as GX devices but on the Pi3+.
0 Likes 0 ·
mryoshii avatar image
mryoshii answered ·

Ok thanks for your input. I have today times the Batrium bms kit together and this price in a inch calculator given. The BMS would cost me about 950€. This is then but a little exaggerated.

The 123 smart BMS has unfortunately no möglichkeir to be controlled via lan / wifi.
Also it seems that each pack needs its own BMS.

My plan is to supply 3 packs with a BMS and to switch them in parallel. It is important to me that each cell is monitored.

2 |3000

xychiux avatar image
xychiux answered ·

What is more suitable to embed in a Victron system

a JBD UART or a JBD RS485 ?

1 comment
2 |3000

Louis van der Walt avatar image Louis van der Walt commented ·
There is no difference for the driver. They both work the same.

Choose the one that will work best for you, but by default the bluetooth module will use the first UART, so if you do not have two UARTs, then add the RS485 if you want to use bluetooth and the driver connection at the same time.
0 Likes 0 ·
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

I would look at REC-BMS. None of the third party BMS units are officially supported by Victron, but REC seems to be the best when it comes to CAN communication. They also have a wifi module if you want to view over the network. They have a ton of different options for different voltages and if you want separate packs you can do master/slave units.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?