question

satoshi avatar image
satoshi asked

BMV Shunt wiring question (does this look correct?!)

Hi folks, so i'm looking for advice on my wiring schematic that I have drafted for my van conversion.

I'm fairly confident with everything but would really appreciate any comments/feedback.

I've ran the negative from the Orion-Tr smart DC/DC and the negative from the mains charger out to the BMV shunt so these can monitor the incoming load. Is this the correct figuration?

Thanks in advance.

screenshot-2022-03-03-at-222405.png

BMV Battery Monitorwiring diagram
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

No. Battery on one side of the shunt and everything else on the other. As wired, anything connected to the Lynx will bypass the BMV and cause SoC errors.

1646347535007.png

1646347535007.png (733.8 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

satoshi avatar image satoshi commented ·

Thank you so much snoobler for your comment, can you please explain some more as I am struggling to comprehend what you mean. So sorry still very much learning here

0 Likes 0 ·
satoshi avatar image satoshi satoshi commented ·

Ah sorry just realised you had amended the picture! Thank you makes sense now! So aside from that everything looks like it should work ok?!

0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler satoshi commented ·

I'm in the U.S., so my response is based on conventions here.

50mm wire is about the same as 1/0. If that's marine wire, it may be rated for 285A

If that's the case, then your 300A fuse is fine, but it needs to be Class-T

I see nothing else of concern.

0 Likes 0 ·
satoshi avatar image satoshi snoobler commented ·
That is very reassuring thank you for your time Snoobler.
0 Likes 0 ·
Martijn Coster (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Martijn Coster (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

@satoshi Did you bother to read the quick install guide that you can find on the VE website?

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Quick-Install-Guide-BMV-712.pdf

gr. Martijn

1 comment
2 |3000

satoshi avatar image satoshi commented ·
I hadn't seen this Martijn so thank you for referencing it, will be sure to read through. I plan on getting really stuck into the manuals before installing but just wanted to be clear on the setup before i purchase everything. Thanks again.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic