question

hansen89 avatar image
hansen89 asked

Orion TR 12/12-9 Charger one works 3 won´t maybe new Rev.?

Hello, first of all sorry for my bad english!

I have an Orion-Tr12/12-9 bought about a year ago. This unit is charing my LiFePo4 4s1p, i charge the pack over the 12V outlet from my Car, this works great.

Now i ordered 3 more 12/12-9 but this units won´t work to charge my 4s1p pack.

Until now i can charge them if i plug the connector from the input side to my Car and than i have to disconnect the batterypack connect i back an then it starts charging.

Can anyone tell me why? Why does the older one works great, and the newer won´t do the Jobs?

The only different i can see on my units are the "E4" and the "10R-06 4720"

the shop i bought them cant help me, they said i can use them as chargers.

the "old" one

1646223805367.jpg

the "new" one

1646223805397.jpg

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Is there a new revision or model or something?!

Thanks and greets from Germany!

Orion DC-DC Converters not smartorion dc-dcorion
1646223805397.jpg (4.1 MiB)
1646223805367.jpg (4.1 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Hansen89

That is the 'Converter' model, not the 'Charger' model. It can be used as a charger, but you have to adjust the Voltage output with a tiny screwdriver through a hole in the lower side. Use a multimeter to do this with no load on.

Without that adjustment they will only provide just over 12.0V, not enough to charge batteries.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Hansen89,

bei den Orion DC-DC handelt es sich um Konverter, nicht um Ladegeräte/Charger.

Zum Laden benötigen Sie einen Victron Orion-Tr Smart Ladebooster aus dieser Serie: https://www.victronenergy.de/dc-dc-converters/orion-tr-smart

2 |3000

hansen89 avatar image
hansen89 answered ·

Hi @JohnC

yes i did i adjust it at a output voltage around 14.4 Volts so.

so i put a bench powersupply on the ouput side and one on the input side i the output side is higher than 10,4 volts the orion won´t switch on the output, if i adjust the powersupply lower than 10.4 volts it will switch on and put out 14.4 Volts. but why is that on the newer one? did if have any solution for that? i would not disconnect the battery the whole?

4 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@Hansen89

It may be the signal you're giving the Remote terminal. If you put a small wire between the L and H terminals it will work. There's no danger doing that, it's designed for it.

0 Likes 0 ·
hansen89 avatar image hansen89 JohnC ♦ commented ·
There is alway a bridge betwenn the L and H terminal.

Did Victron put out a new model?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ hansen89 commented ·
I was looking at your screenshot above with just one wire..
0 Likes 0 ·
hansen89 avatar image hansen89 JohnC ♦ commented ·
Ah okay, you cant see they wire on the picture, but it is there.
0 Likes 0 ·
hansen89 avatar image
hansen89 answered ·

Hi @Stefanie

Danke, ich habe extra bei Conrad angefragt, die sagte mir das sich diese Modelle auch als Ladegerät eignen, und es klappt auch ganz gut, das eine läuft ja schon über ein Jahr.

Da ich leider schon über die 4 Woche Rückgabefrist, will ich diese jetzt natürlich auch weiter nutzen.

Nur leider bekomme ich das mit den anderen nicht hin?

2 comments
2 |3000

Ja, man kann mit dem Konverter auch laden. Aber nur mit einer fest einzustellenden Spannung und einem festen Strom. Eigentlich eher für eine Starterbatterie geeignet als alles andere oder als Notersatz, wenn mal nicht richtiges vorhanden ist. Es gibt kein Ladeprogramm, das Lithium Batterien unterstützt. ich würde damit meine Lithiums nicht laden wollen.

0 Likes 0 ·
hansen89 avatar image hansen89 Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Die Packs haben nen integriertes BMS welche nur eine konstante von halt 14.6 Volt braucht.

Das klappt bis jetzt ganz gut.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron DC to DC Converters Product Range

Victron DC-DC converters product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic