question

arved avatar image
arved asked

Compatible Image to Pi 4B 1GB

Hi All,

I´m trying to set up Venus OS on a Pi 4B 1GB (the only one available atm.). According to this source all 4B´s with 1GB are 1.1 board versions. According to the wiki venus os Images are compatible to "...older boards only (1.2 and 1.3 versions)".
My problem: I flashed the latest image (V2.84 for Pi 4) but if I power my Pi, the screen stays black. With a new Rasperry OS the screen starts showing the rainbow.

I appreciate any help to check which Image should be compatible with my Pi 4 1GB.

Thanks a lot!

Venus OSRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
johnny-brusevold avatar image
johnny-brusevold answered ·

@Arved

Try this image, same image as you tried, but newer kernel.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1FuK1ffsateaH-Tqn9VvWsw6rGnidGvwe?usp=sharing

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The 1GB PI 4s use the v1.5 board. 2GB and 4GB boards were available with the v1.1 and v1.2 boards but those older units are no longer for sale unless you happen to find a new one. The v1.4 board was developed (I think) foe the 8 GB model but also supports 2GB and 4GB versions. So now what you buy is a v1.4 or v1.5 board regardless of the amount of RAM you select.

The image available on the Victron "feeds" web site do not support the v1.4 or v1.5 boards but as Johnny says there's a new kernel being worked on which will work on all board versions and all RAM configurations of the PI 4s.

Some of the older boards may need an eeprom update to run the new kernel. The eprom update needs to be done while running Raspberry PI OS.

2 |3000

arved avatar image
arved answered ·

@Johnny Brusevold Thanks a lot - your image worked out just fine!

@Kevin Windrem also thanks to you for the detailed explanation - again learned a lot!

2 |3000