question

evhaandel avatar image
evhaandel asked

Victron venus GX & SolarEdge SE10K 3 phase inverter monitoring

Hello,

On the following page there is a section about "New: monitor SMA & Solar Edge PV Inverters". This section also mentions that only Solar Edge models SE2200H – SE6000H (HD-Wave) were tested.

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2018/02/14/venus-v2-12/

In my current Solar installation I'm using a SolarEdge SE10K inverter, this is a three phase inverter. I was curious if someone has experience combining a three phase SolarEdge inverter with for example a Victron Venus GX.

Thanks!

Emiel

Venus GX - VGXsolarmonitoring
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi, what version Venus OS are you using?

0 Likes 0 ·
evhaandel avatar image evhaandel mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi, I'm using the (latest) version 2.23.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
evhaandel avatar image
evhaandel answered ·

I found the solution! :) Thank you Anco @AvB (Victron Energy Staff) for pointing us in the right direction.

You have to enter the following information in the RS485-1 section of the SolarEdge inverter.

Communication > RS485-1 Conf

RS485-1 Conf > Device Type > Non-SE Logger

RS485-1 Conf > Protocol > SunSpec

RS485-1 Conf > Device ID > 126

It seems not logical because these are settings for Modbus over RS485 but the Device ID is also used for the Modbus over TCP.

And with these settings the Venus GX is connecting with the SolarEdge inverter! Great feature, thank you Victron!

img-5620.jpg (2.2 MiB)
img-0495.png (203.5 KiB)
img-0494.png (229.1 KiB)
img-0496.png (218.7 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alexcpu avatar image alexcpu commented ·

Amazing, thank you so much!!

Maybe Victron could add this to the instructions for Solaredge inverters?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ alexcpu commented ·

Absolutely, done by Anco. If you have any further additions, you’re welcome to make an account and modify it further yourselves.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:gx_solaredge

0 Likes 0 ·
evhaandel avatar image
evhaandel answered ·

Hello @Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff),

Today I tested the following setup:

- Venus GX (with no other Victron products connected/installed)

- SolarEdge SE10K

Both connected via wired LAN on the same network (Venus GX 192.168.1.217 - SolarEdge 192.168.1.200). I enabled Modbus TCP on the SolarEdge as described in the SolarEdge documentation. After enabling the SolarEdge displays the following status

Modbus TCP: Ready

IP: 192.168.1.200

Port: 502

The meaning of this status as described in the SolarEdge documentation.

Ready – The server is up and waiting for a client to connect.

So the first part is successful.

Then I tried to find the SolarEdge inverter in the PV section of the Venus GX... but without success. Using "Find PV inverters" on the Venus GX doesn't give any result. I also manual added the ip number of the SolarEdge inverter (192.168.001.200) but without any result.

To make sure the SolarEdge inverter is reachable I installed Modbus Client software on a Windows machine. Using this software it is possible to connect to the SolarEdge inverter. After connecting the SolarEdge displays the following status:

Modbus TCP: Connected

Some guidance and .help is appreciated. :)

Does the Venus GX have some sort of logging to find out what is going wrong?

Greetings,

Emiel

5 comments
2 |3000

evhaandel avatar image evhaandel commented ·

Looking at the display of the SolarEdge inverter I get the impression the Venus GX is connecting every minute for 5 seconds. This is because of the following behaviour.

For 1 minute the following status is displayed

Modbus TCP: Ready

The for 4 or 5 seconds the status changes to

Modbus TCP: Connected

So there seems to be a Modbus connection over TCP for a short while. Does this indicate a problem with the SunSpec protocol?

0 Likes 0 ·
evhaandel avatar image evhaandel evhaandel commented ·

Yesterday SolarEdge did an over the air update of my SE10K inverter. Now my inverter has the latest firmwares.

DSP2 Version

Communication Board (CPU) Version

DSP1 Version

Today I tried to Search for a PV inventer on my Victron Venux GX but still the same behaviour, the Venus GX does not detect the SolarEdge PV inverter. :(

Below a screenshot of an iPhone app called TCP Modbus. With this app it's possible to connect with the SolarEdge Inverter (192.168.1.200:502) and if you send a command a response is send bank and received.

@Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff)

Is it possible to get some help from Victron?

Thanks,

Emiel

0 Likes 0 ·
img-0360.png (157.5 KiB)
AvB avatar image AvB ♦♦ evhaandel commented ·

Hello Emiel,

Can you try to set the id to 126 instead of 1 on the SE inverter. Than let the CCGX search again at inverter ip address. Curious if that helps.

Anco

0 Likes 0 ·
alexcpu avatar image alexcpu AvB ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @AvB (Victron Energy Staff)

It's not possible to change the Device ID of the SolareEdge inveter when using Modbus TCP, it's hardcoded to 1. You can however change the address if using Modbus over RS485, which I'm assuming nobody is doing.

Solaredge Sunspec Implementation has no details of how to change Device ID, except for RS485 interfaces.

Thanks,

Alex

0 Likes 0 ·
AvB avatar image AvB ♦♦ alexcpu commented ·

I do not have proper info yet. But to encourage you see above.... Try to set RS485 channel 1 to ID 126

page 13 RS485-1 Conf  Device ID and enter the MODBUS address (a unique value 1...247). This will set the register C_DeviceAddress.

If that does not work I'll try harder to find out how we got above visible more than a year ago. The only documentation I have about it is set ID to 126...

0 Likes 0 ·
1558475649550.png (52.4 KiB)
Spyros Tziakouris avatar image
Spyros Tziakouris answered ·

i have the same problem.

devices are connected on the same LAN (ip 192.168.1.xxx)

modbus tcp is tested via simply modbus as a client on both devices and is working (laptop as a client can read all registers from 2 servers).

venus os: v2.23

SE3000hd

dsp2: 2.0.405

cpu v: 3.2155.0

dsp1: 1.0.454

since server is ok (solaredge inv), its possible that the client drops the connection (ccgx).

Should we change port on SolarEdge (502 default)?

Greetings,

Spyros

1 comment
2 |3000

alexcpu avatar image alexcpu commented ·

I've got this problem too, I can talk to the inverter via other devices on the same LAN, but the same as evhaandel and spyrostz, the Venus GX can't find/connect to it, even when I tell it the IP address.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
beny avatar image
beny answered ·
150/5000
Changing the ID on the SolarEdge inverter is likely to reduce the use of the SolarEdge energy meter. How are SolarEdge Power Management handled?
1 comment
2 |3000

evhaandel avatar image evhaandel commented ·

I have a working solution with a SolarEdge SE10K connected to the Modbus meter from SolarEdge and connected to the VenusGX simultaneously. In the topic answer you can find what settings I've used in the SolarEdge inverter.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic