question

frederikbove avatar image
frederikbove asked

When to upgrade/update your system

What are the best practices around updating the firmware of my Victron system.

Currently i have the following firmware version:

venus os: 2.73
VE bus system (multiples II gx): 481
Mppt rs: 1.05

is it recommended to update them regularly or not. I have an ess system with pylontech batteried And ac critical loads connected.

if I perform an update what do I need to keep in mind?

firmware update
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Update firmware if you have issues.

The GX tends to need updating for all the VRM features to keep working, but unless you have problems don't go looking for new ones.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

"never change a running system"

As long as you don't have any problems or need any of the new features I recommend to not update.

But if you update than update everything to the latest version.

2 |3000

frederikbove avatar image
frederikbove answered ·

So only updating the gx(Venus is) is not recommended?

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Updating Venus is generally OK. Doesn't lose settings or need reconfiguration, does cause a system restart, which may affect you when you don't want it. You can set it to Autoupdate if there's an internet connection. But, as with any software, a new release may have bugs that affect you, despite extensive testing. The latest 2.80 has gone to 2.84 in a matter of weeks. My system on Autoupdate was fine, but there were some bugs which affected some users. Looks like these are all ironed out in 2.84. there are quite a few enhancements to support some VRM changes.

With some firmware changes, configuration settings may be lost. Your manual may recommend dealer update only.

0 Likes 0 ·