question

billy57 avatar image
billy57 asked

connect 2 generators, one big none, one small one,

Hi

Can you help?

I have set up 3 Victron 10KVA quads to do 3 phase on my farm.

And on a good day I have 12 KVA of solar.

My question is, if I lose my power while it is being re-routed is it possible to connect 2 generators, one big none, one small one, one is 6 KVA and the other is 35 KVA.

If the power goes out I would like the 6 KVA generator to start up but if the demands on the farm are high I would like to 35 KVA to start up.

Am I asking too much? Or making it too complicated?

Yours

Billy

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Yes its possible to do I would think.

It would be a good learning curve for you

you would need to setup a auto change over switch so that only one gen is active at a time

then use assistants to activate one generator or to start the other and stop the small one or vise versa.

anyway you would use the AUX1 and the AUX2 or other relays to trigger your autostart/Stop systems.

you would need to work out by looking through the assistants as to how to trigger it.

and even then I dont know if you could.

As you have to inverters you could also setup some assistants (ie gen autostart on one to start the small unit and turn it on/off and on the other inverter use the assistants to start/stop the big gen.)

I am presuming that you can control diferant assistants on different inverters,

I dont know for sure but you can only try and see.

keeping the auto change over relay would be key as only one gen could then engage at any one time.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:start

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:how_to_add_and_configure_an_assistant

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

I think the 6kVA generator is much to small to sufficiently use with the 10k Quattro units.

I'd use your battery, and start the big generator when batteries are low / during high loads.

2 |3000

inaki-goicolea avatar image
inaki-goicolea answered ·

Hello,

I am looking into doing a similar setup. Any feedback on your experience?

Maybe the GX system has evolved, and now it can do with the GX, not necessarily with Quattro assistants?

2 |3000