question

buddhafragt avatar image
buddhafragt asked

Excess energy measurement

Hello,
I have been thinking for a while about how a surplus energy control system could work.
I have tried a few things and have built a test circuit, which also works so far. You can see the scheme in the graphic.
The function is as follows:
ARDUINO
Turns on the relay 1 every 5 minutes for 0,5 seconds and measures the maximum available power with a test load (heater) at power meter 2.
When the battery is 90% charged + power meter 2 minus power meter 1 exceeds a certain value, relay 2 turns on an extra load. (in the Arduino the switching conditions can be easily adjusted as desired, this is just a simple example).
My questions:
Do you have any suggestions for improvement?
I have not managed to send values from the Arduino to the Venus GX and display them in the portal. How can I solve this?

leistungsmesser.jpg

MPPT ControllersVenus GX - VGXEnergy Meter
leistungsmesser.jpg (122.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Interesting. Another way would be to wait until battery 90%, then turn on the extra load. If battery starts to drop, turn off extra load. Can probably do this based on current through battery. Might need to build time delays in to prevent constant on/off etc.

Bear in mind you have an MPPT, this will self adjust depending on irradiance and load, so you may end up with conflicts. Best would be to identify the self adjust of the MPPT and check battery current immediately after. Only then disconnect extra load if needed. But I have a feeling this is too simplistic.

Maybe consider an ideal diode, like an argofet to disconnect the battery from the charge side when you connect the extra load. Battery won't go over 90%, but if you're on lithium, not a bad thing.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Main question is whether 0.5 seconds is enough for the MPPT's to settle at new power level...

I would put a small panel with a dump load ( about a few W) arranged so the small module is always at or below it's MPP voltage. Irradience can then be measured and averaged with an ADC. This can be compared with the expected production from the main array to control excess loads.

2 |3000

buddhafragt avatar image
buddhafragt answered ·

I think the MPPT works independently of the load, doesn't it? the MPPT should work independently of the power taken...

2 |3000