question

kradenko avatar image
kradenko asked

Multiplus II with Solar Integration

Hi

I am looking at the following setup:

1 x Victron MultiPlus-II unit

4 x 12V 120Ah Omnipower Deep-cycle AGM Batteries (48V)

1 x SmartSolar MPPT 250/100 Solar regulator

2 - 4 x 325W Solar Panels

The Victron Multiplus-II will be installed inline before the distribution board. Output will be split to critical and non-critical feeds.

First Question: Does the SmartSolar MPPT unit connect to the Multiplus-II directly? Or directly to the batteries?

Second Question: Does the Multiplus-II first use the energy from the solar panels before substituting energy from the grid? I understand when the grid source is disconnected it will make use of it. I plan to use solar and then have grid substitute the excess power needs.

Third Question: What is the noise level of the Multiplus-II? It would need to be placed outside, under roof, just outside the bedrooms of my house.

Kind Regards

Davin

Multiplus-IIsmart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Please consult your Victron dealer / installer.

Your battery is way to small, and MPPT way to big (this might be for feature solar panel upgrades?)

The Multiplus II is relatively quiet (I find it to be quieter than the older units)

outside installation: I don't think this is recommended, only very dry areas I'd say, and beware of bugs.

there are multiple ways to let solar be used first. but please get the system specs correct first.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kradenko avatar image kradenko commented ·

Thanks! The answer re the solar charge input was that I need the Venus GX or Color Control GX to manage the power from each source.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jaco Reinecke avatar image
Jaco Reinecke answered ·

My MPII. although not as loud as other types of inverters, is very clearly heard when it gets into temp derating levels. The fan is not BAD, just very clearly heard. Standing next to it talking may have some people move a few steps away.

Re. the small battery bank ... set the system to accommodate max charge amps (set same max charge amp on the MPPT + inverter + ESS) until you can upgrade with more batteries. I've done that for years. Also an idea is to set to "Keep Batteries Charged" on smaller banks. They are then really only used when there is a power failure, and not drained hard every day.

2 |3000

Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman answered ·

I know a major Victron distributor whose own setup at home is a 3kVA MP II and a 100Ah battery bank.

I do not agree that this bank is too small. I have a 210Ah bank and I’ve never used it below 70% SoC despite all the power shittiness where I live.

The MPPT you’ve specified is way too big. Can you give some more details - spec sheet - on the panels you’ve specified.

If you have a Venus device and configure ESS, you can make the system use solar first and keep the batteries charged and fees anything back to the grid.

2 |3000

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic