question

captnsnap avatar image
captnsnap asked

Time to Go on GX

Hi Victron development team.

I have seen a number of people asking for Time to Go do be displayed on the GX and VRM Portals. I excitedly updated firmware today on my devices, and was disappointed to see this has not yet been included.

Is there a technical reason why it is not? I realise I can see it if I go to the SmartShunt screen, but it is such a useful indicator for boaties, I would like to strongly urge developers to add it to the main screen - even as an option.

Anyone else want to support my request?

cerbo gxgx device
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
tropical-wonder avatar image
tropical-wonder answered ·

screenshot-20220205-192200-duckduckgo.jpgTime to go is on my VRM.

Set up my system yesterday. 2.8 firmware. Show detail.

What are you looking for?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @CaptnSnap

It's also available on the MFD app (which grabbed a rename to 'Marine', and some other improvements)..

1644049899900.png

1644049899900.png (253.5 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

captnsnap avatar image captnsnap commented ·
Hi John C

Can you tell me what MFD this is from? We are installing a Volvo Penta GlassCockpit later in the year and wondered what the display will be like on that.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ captnsnap commented ·

@CaptnSnap

The example is just from a Win lappy (over wifi), and if I zoom it the layout changes, even to 2 pages. I prefer it to Remote Console, but if I need that, there's a button at the top to select it.

Not sure about Volvo, but there's a bit about it here.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ve.can:nmea-2000:start

0 Likes 0 ·
ningaloo avatar image ningaloo JohnC ♦ commented ·
Are you suggesting that you can use the HTML5 app on a laptop over WiFi without an ethernet connection to an MFD?

I have not found documentation on how to do this and the instructions for MFD suggest that an ethernet cable direct to MFD (not just a router) is required.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ ningaloo commented ·

Hi @ningaloo

You don't need a MFD to run the Marine HTML5 app. On a lappy just type "venus.local/app/" into a browser.

I use a CCGX with ethernet cable to the lappy (using ICS), and backup CCGX wifi dongle direct to a WAN wifi hotspot. The lappy has web from the hotspot too. Odd setup (long story), but still works.

But there's some strangeness I haven't bothered to understand.. The app seems to need web to start, but once running and web is turned off it continues on rolling over realistic figures. Finding out why isn't on my to-do list, my web's pretty reliable mostly.

0 Likes 0 ·
captnsnap avatar image
captnsnap answered ·

Hmmm.

So is it the Cerbo that "hosts" the VRM Portal? My Cerbo is operating on Firmware 2.73, so that might be the issue. Looks like I might have to logon when I am on the boat to update as I cant see a way to do it remotely. The Cerbo and Touch GX do not appear on the list of devices I can update firmware for through the portal:

This is what I am seeing 1644054233788.png

1644054858321.png

The next question is whether I will see the TtG on the Touch GX screen:

1644055005356.png

I will update firmware tomorrow and report back!

1644054233788.png (117.6 KiB)
1644054858321.png (14.8 KiB)
1644055005356.png (74.5 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Cerbo doesn't host the portal, it's the central point of your system for collection and onward transmission to the Victron VRM servers. If the Cerbo connection is down, VRM will still have data up to last time of connection. And of course once the connection is restored, it will forward all the missing data to VRM.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Time to go not shown on my CCGX, sadly. Guess you won't get it either.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Just been checking my system. Which is easysolar.

Time to go only shows when multi is switched on, not charger only. And it seems to need some load on the system. If there's AC input, time to go is suppressed.

2 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi all.

It depends on what type battery monitor you have:

1. BMV & SmartShunt & Lynx calculates a time to to, only when discharging.
  2. Multis and EasySolars don’t calculate a time to go; so should not be visible. If it is, then there is a small bug in that it forgets to hide it.

Multi or EasySolar on/off shouldn’t make a difference

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
captnsnap avatar image
captnsnap answered ·

OK, so in my system, we are using a SmartShunt as the battery monitor, so I should see Time to Go on the VRM Portal when we disconnect Shorepower? I realised I did not have the screen in "Detail" mode so may have missed it, but also don't use VRM when we are on the boat. I assume we are seeing the below because it is connected currently to AC power?

1644107171857.png

Still think it should be an option to have it displayed on the main screen on the GX. I appreciate it takes in a bunch of assumptions, but it is essentially the most important reference for the sort of trips we do away from Shorepower.

Thanks for your input this far.

1644107171857.png (68.2 KiB)
2 |3000

captnsnap avatar image
captnsnap answered ·

Had a play yesterday and indeed, as soon as we unplug Shorepower, TtG is displayed on the Smartshunt panel.

So now we just need the clever developers to add it to the main screen :)

Thanks contributers.

2 |3000

marlonbeltz avatar image
marlonbeltz answered ·

Upvote to add it to the GX Color screen, that's what he's asking, not on the remote portal. Example. it seems like a simple addition, add all the info you get if you select Show Details on the portal.

Please add it here.

1654877032963.png

1654877197868.png

1654877032963.png (33.7 KiB)
1654877197868.png (55.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I can't remember where I saw time to go first but I have added it to the enhanced overviews in GuiMods.

Any time the TTG value is valid, a "Remaining" line shows up in the battery tile of the overview. If TTG is not valid the "Remaining" line(s) are not shown. It seems that if the time to go is longer than 10 days it becomes invalid. The battery must of course be discharging but I have also seen a valid time to go value when the battery state reports "idle" but a small discharge load is shown.

https://github.com/kwindrem/GuiMods

2 |3000