question

fernando-mier-hicks avatar image
fernando-mier-hicks asked

Connecting 4x SmartShunts to microcontroller

What is the lowest mass/volume way to "bus" 4x SmartShunt Ve.Direct ports onto a single communication bus (Ve.CAN or VE.BUS) to then interface to a microcontroller?

• Use 4x "VE.Direct to VE.CAN interface" cables https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/ve-direct-to-ve-can-interface
  • Use 1x Octo Gx

Would 4x "Lynx Shunt VE.Can" be a better approach?

SmartShuntlynx shunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It's not completely clear what you want to achieve here.
When you say microcontroller, what do you mean? Are you referring to a CCGX, CerboGX, OctoGX? Or do you mean mictrocontroller like ST, Microchip or Espressif?

What do you need to measure with the four SmartShunt? Battery current or load current.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fernando-mier-hicks avatar image fernando-mier-hicks commented ·

By microcontroller I mean a ST, Microchip, Arduino etc. I would add an appropriate CAN transceiver to the TTL-UART on the microcontroller to make it compatible with VE.CAN.

I would like to acquire as much data from the SmartShunt as possible: battery current, estimated SOC, temperature, battery voltage etc. The most important being estimated SOC.

0 Likes 0 ·
fernando-mier-hicks avatar image fernando-mier-hicks commented ·

By microcontroller I mean a ST, Microchip, Arduino etc. I would add an appropriate CAN transceiver to the TTL-UART on the microcontroller to make it compatible with VE.CAN.

I would like to acquire as much data from the SmartShunt as possible: battery current, estimated SOC, temperature, battery voltage etc. The most important being estimated SOC.

0 Likes 0 ·
steffen-graap avatar image
steffen-graap answered ·

The ve.direct is RS232. The easiest way would be to just hang the SmartShunts directly on the 4 UART port of the microcontroller.

2 |3000