question

richard-blaauw avatar image

Is the VE.Bus BMS compatible with a Phoenix Combi 12/1600/75

I'm looking at upgrading our boats electrical system to a LiFePO4-based system. As far as the components go, I'm pretty sure I have the configuration figured out. The only thing I cannot determine, is whether our current Victron Phoenix Combi 12/1600/75 Inverter/Charger is compatible with the VE.Bus BMS. The setup I am thinking about is very similar to the example given in the VE.Bus BMS manual, shown below. Can we use our Phoenix Combi in this setup?

Phoenix InverterBMSchargerVE.Bus
system-schematic.png (252.8 KiB)
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Am I correct in thinking this is a very old unit without VE.bus connection?
if so then no, as far as I know there is no remote input to switch charger / inverter on/off.

4 comments Share

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

@Boekel: Indeed, it is an older unit. I believe it is from 2004. But it does have a databus for an 8-pin UTP connector, with which it is currently connected to a Phoenix Multi Control panel. The manual refers to this RS485 communication as "Victron Information Protocol".

Furthermore, the manual also suggests that there is a remote switch possibility. Below I have copied an image from the (dutch) manual to clarify. The serial databus is on the top left, the remote switch connector is indicated.

Is there a way to use this unit in the setup I have in mind?

phoenix-combi.png (37.3 KiB)

you could use 2x relay driven by the bms to emulate the remote switch.

a couple of things:
-when inverter is 'on' it still charges, so you'll have to wire so that when 'charge enable' is off, the inverter is switched off.

-your remote control panel probably can't be combined with this

-if the bms shuts down the combi due to low battery, the combi (and bms, and relay) will still use a little power and empty the battery, so make sure you configure the combi in a way that it shuts down on low voltage when there is still enough capacity left in the battery.

Tobias avatar image Tobias richard-blaauw ·

Hello @Richard Blaauw

I apologise for hijacking this rather old topic, but I’m really interested in your setup with connecting a Phoenix Combi to a Phoenix Multi Control Panel. I have not been able to get verification by anyone at Victron that this combo actually works. Is it the 200/200A GX or is it the 200/200A panel?

Do you get the full functionality of the panel, or is it a reduced set of functions when connected to the Phoenix Combi?

Hi Tobias,

Unfortunately, we were not able to combine our old Phoenix with our new setup, so we ended up replacing it by a new Multiplus. Our panel is a 200/200A by the way.

ur12vman avatar image
ur12vman answered ·

From scanning the phoenix combi manual here: https://www.victronenergy.com/Manuals/phoenix%20combi/PhoenixCombiUKPc00170e-rev01(1).PDF

I see no provisions for the proper charge algorithm for LiFePo4 batteries, without the proper algorithm you are most likely going to damage Li batteries. The combi also does not have a VE Bus provision. Time to upgrade.