question

mike-schoonen avatar image
mike-schoonen asked

Can I mount the MPPT and Multiplus horizontally?

Hello,

I was wondering if it is allowed to mount the mppt and multiplus flat on the ground?

Thanks,

Mike

MPPT ControllersMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargerinstallation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

It is allowed, but obviously not optimal.

Both units have built in thermal derating, they will reduce their output as they heat up and eventually stop before they will damage themselves.

If it is a space constraint, AND you need best performance, consider some other cooling such as an additional external fan.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mike-schoonen avatar image mike-schoonen commented ·

It will be inside a control cabinet with cooling fans and placed outside. What will then be the right option?

0 Likes 0 ·
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

I recall seeing a note in the manual around vertical arrangement being optimal (better for air flow/convection), but horizontal is ok as well if the heat load is manageable.

The real question is, how are you going to stop stubbing your toes on the multiplus if its on the ground! :P

2 |3000

nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

And what's the best way to secure the multi in a horizontal configuration. The Multi came with a cleat that the multi can hang from at the top, then two holes on the bottom. Would it be best to not bother with the cleat and just secure with the two holes on the bottom? I'm worried that the cleat won't provide much stability without gravity pulling down on it. And if it rattles, it would drive me nuts.

2 comments
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

Just pull it tight on the 'cleat' and then fix the two holes on the bottom. It's pretty tight so I don't think it will rattle.

0 Likes 0 ·
nebulight avatar image nebulight boekel ♦ commented ·

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

0 Likes 0 ·
pekkaj avatar image
pekkaj answered ·

I'm also mounting this horizontal. Are the rubber feet just for temp use, so they dont have to touch anything when mounted?

2 |3000