question

ago007vovfd avatar image
ago007vovfd asked

The right mppt choice

Hello all,

I am facing a cost/benefit decision. I am looking for the right mppt for my 350wp solar system. I have no experience with solar systems.

The solar system consists of 2x 175wp:

each

Vmpp: 37,16V

Impp: 4,71A

Voc: 44,28V

Isc: 5,21A

The Victron rating calculator suggests me the SmartSolar 100/20.

However, I am unsure if this may be too small for my system. According to the data sheet, this is designed only up to 290W.

Alternatively, I have looked at the 100/30. This would of course cover the power, but possibly somewhat oversized.

The solar panels are ultimately mounted statically at a horizontal angle. Is it realistic that the solar panel produces more than 290w in this scenario? I assume that I would " fully utilize " the 100/20 in a few szenarin and therefore the 100/30 would offer very little added value.

I would be very happy to here some experience values. For which MPPT would you recommend?

Thanks for your help and time!

howto
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

Hi, I would opt for the larger controller. It is more expensive but my experience is that you will get more out of your panels with this option.

When using the calculator did you tell it that you had two panels ?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ago007vovfd avatar image ago007vovfd commented ·

hi, thanks for your advice. Do I generally get more out by effizeinz ? Or because I can take the peaks with me?

Yes I have told the calculator that I have two.

Very interesting... when I tell the calculator to have only one 350wp module, it shows me the 100/30 version.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

Interesting that the calculator suggests 100/30 for a single panel. As far as ouTput is concerned I think the answer is both - peaks and efficiency. Also sometimes the panels will also output more than what they are rated which will be a further benefit of the 100/30.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic