question

mva avatar image
mva asked

SmartShunt tailing current on BattleBorn Battery

I just installed a SmartShunt in my trailer that has a 100 A-hr BattleBorn Battery. As the battery was charging to 100% SOC, I noted the current. The charging current decreased to about 160 mA (per the SmartShunt) and maintained that current level, not zero as I had expected. I did disconnect the battery (via disconnect switch) and the SmartShunt did read zero; hence, the SmartShunt does not appear to have a non-zero offset.

Does the BB BMS has a 160 mA consumption? I cannot figure out where else the 160 mA could be drawing from. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

This needs to be posted in the Q&A forum.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

That small current flowing through the battery is expected. Also, the BMS does require an ammount of energy to run, so I wouldn't be worried about a tiny trickle current through a large battery like that. It's about 0.16% of the C rating.

2 |3000