question

jens-due avatar image
jens-due asked

Smart Battery Protect on battery side of MPPT?

Hi every one

Now I have read everything I can find about Smart Battery Protect on battery side of MPPT and there are people who write it will work, and there are people who write it does not work, and the whole house will burn down.

So Victron who is right, I have found this drawing, where Victron uses it in just this way.

Best regards Jenssmart-battery-protect-on-battery-side-of-mppt.pngUS-VAN-Drawing-VEBus-BMS-MultiPlus-3KW-DMC-400Ah-Li-Cerbo-SBP-100A-&-65A-SmartShunt-MPPT-100-50-OrionTr.pdf

Battery Protectmppt charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

It is all in the manual.
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-Smart-Battery-Protect-12V-24V-65-A-100-A--220-A-EN-NL-FR-SV-DE-PT-ES-IT-TR.pdf

The direction of current flow is always from IN to OUT.
If you want to control loads you have to connect the battery to IN and the loads to OUT.
If you want to control chargers (like the MPPT) you have to connect the output of the charger to IN and the battery to OUT

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Glen Carter avatar image
Glen Carter answered ·

I have a system in design with 4- SmartSolar 100/30. The solar panels are on slides and when retracted 2 solar panels are directly under the upper panels. I was thinking of using 2 Smart Battery Protect 65A on the output of the MPPT. I can turn off/disconnect the lower charge controllers when not in use and also have the option to disconnect both solar systems.

I assume since the max output from the 2 - SS 100/30 is 60A the 65A Battery protect should work. Is this correct? Otherwise the 100A is only an additional $20 each.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron BatteryProtect product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic