question

jimn avatar image
jimn asked

Blue Solar PWM 10A light not charging properly or rationing charge in low light.

When new, this charger charged continuously in full or low sunlight, through the appropriate stages until it reached float.

Now 2 years later, if the battery is only slightly discharged but I have full sun it will charge as expected. If a cloud then covers the sun, instead of still charging continuously right when I need all the power I can get, the charge disconnects and reconnects about once per second. I can see this on an ammeter measuring the current from the solar panel. Hence I am only getting about half the charge that is available.

Why does the charger ration the power to the battery right when I need it to put all the possible charge through? Can I change something to make it charge continuously without have to bypass the charge controller? I have no load connections in use so the charger is simply there to charge the battery.

BlueSolar PWM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Might be your batteries getting old. What voltage are they at? Do they get much use?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

howard-dunbar avatar image
howard-dunbar answered ·

I'm having a similar problem with a 30 amp 12 v pwm blue solar that is new. Will be charging well. Come back an hour later and less than half charge. Reconfigure from lifepo4 to gel and immediately recovers for an hour or two the drops again. Reconfigure back or any battery alternative and full amperage recovered. Im using 2x 160 w 36 cell panels in parallel with 120 lifepo4 battery with 40 amp bms. System works fine with cheap pwm from china not designed for lifepo4.

Any advice please

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic