question

cotje avatar image
cotje asked

SolarEdge optimizer on MPPT

Hi all,

Working on my new Vitron energy system (MultiplusII/CerboGX) and I would like to convert my existing 8 panel Solaredge system with optimizers to a Victron MPPT setup. I already removed the Solaredge inverter and was planning to plug the exisiting PV-leads in my MPPT 250/60. Will the MPPT accept this or will it damage the MPPT? Hoping I do not need to remove all the optimizers from the panels. TIA!

MPPT SmartSolar
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wim-immelman avatar image wim-immelman commented ·
Hi cotje. I'm also running a SolarEdge system (5KW HD Wave with 4.5kw of panels and optimizers). I'm expanding my system and considering going the simpler (and cheaper) Victron MPPT route for my second bank. Out of curiosity, why are you converting away from SolarEdge PV Inverter?
0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

It is not recommend to use optimizers this can damage the MPPT.

There are already a few questions about that in the community.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cotje avatar image
cotje answered ·

Thanks @Matthias Lange - DE ! I've seen the posts on optimizers but there was nothing specific to SolarEdge optimizers. Anyway, will go ahead and remove the modules from the panels.

2 |3000

shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

Solaredge optimizers will not turn on unless and inverter is present to send them a signal.
So it won't work but Victron MPPT's also don't like optimizers and tend to die.

I would recommend removing all the optimizers and installing a 450/100.
You can also put the inverter back and have it AC coupled to the Victron system.

2 |3000

Vilmas avatar image
Vilmas answered ·

I using one of TS4-A-O. Works well with MPPT 450/100. Looking to buy another 3 dual 1600w optimizers of HoneyBee 1600 for my 6 Canadian 600W panels.

2 |3000