question

vassilis-bourdakis avatar image
vassilis-bourdakis asked

Venus OS Large features menu missing on 2.80~33Large?

just the title really...

installed already on a rpi3B+, works fine SignalK OK and now on my rpi4.

in both installations the Settings OS Large Features menu is missing!

am I missing something? are they hidden somewhere (v.well!)?

Venus OS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

vassilis-bourdakis avatar image vassilis-bourdakis commented ·

Fixed, thanks Kevin!

0 Likes 0 ·
10 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The problem with Large tools disappearing was due to a bug in SetupHelper. It's fixed now

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, You sure you installed the right version? Pls post a screenshot of the firmware page

2 |3000

vassilis-bourdakis answered ·

yes, right version indeed on both!

v280-33l-1.png

v280-33l-2.png

v280-33l-3.png

v280-33l-4.png

v280-33l-5.png

v280-33l-6.png

any ideas?

V.

v280-33l-1.png (9.5 KiB)
v280-33l-2.png (7.9 KiB)
v280-33l-3.png (8.3 KiB)
v280-33l-4.png (8.4 KiB)
v280-33l-5.png (7.7 KiB)
v280-33l-6.png (8.2 KiB)
5 comments
2 |3000

johnny-brusevold avatar image johnny-brusevold commented ·

Now tested on a pi3b+ and pi4 v1.4 8GB, and the large menu is in place

0 Likes 0 ·
vassilis-bourdakis avatar image vassilis-bourdakis johnny-brusevold commented ·

which version of the OS did you use? Running latest Large on both 3 and 4 with the above issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
johnny-brusevold avatar image johnny-brusevold vassilis-bourdakis commented ·

I'm running v2.80~33-lage-24,

and you're right that GUiMods is the problem.

I had GUiMods on the other root partition and was not active.

EDIT

Now I'm home again. now double checked and I actually remembered correctly the first time

GuiMod is installed and working

Large menu and Node-red works

Temperature mod with cpu temp works

v2.80 ~ 33-lage-24

pi3b + ok

pi4 v1.4 8GB ok

0 Likes 0 ·
bathnm avatar image bathnm johnny-brusevold commented ·
@Johnny Brusevold did you manage to boot this on the RPI4 8Gb without any modifications?
0 Likes 0 ·
johnny-brusevold avatar image johnny-brusevold bathnm commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
jsrivet avatar image
jsrivet answered ·

I have the same problem on my Cerbo. I wonder if there is a conflict with Gui-Mods?

2 |3000

vassilis-bourdakis answered ·

definitely related to Kevin's tools happens as soon as I install SetupHelper even before setting up Gui-Mods.

Reported to him in github, should be something fairly simple- iirc he's not using the Large version of the OS, so easy to miss.

cheers

V.

2 |3000

jsrivet avatar image
jsrivet answered ·

There and bug with SetupHelper but I found a way to do the installation.

I went back to the normal firmware version

Cancel the line with a # "nohup / data / SetupHelper / reinstallMods> / dev / null &" from file: rcS.local. So that SetupHelper does not update

Install the Venus OS Large version

activate: Signal K and Node-Red in the parameters

Return the normal command "nohup / data / SetupHelper / reinstallMods> / dev / null &"

restart the GX

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem answered ·
If this problem is that the large menu doesn't appear with SetupHelper installed, then it has been fixed
2 |3000

christophlaib avatar image
christophlaib answered ·

Hi there
I'm in the same position...
Installed 2.89 ( Standard Image )

- did the kwindrem CAN setup
- wanted to update to the large OS

but found no menu position...

1660903404418.pngAny idea ?

mercimille

1660903404418.png (19.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem answered ·

Prior to v2.90 (now in beta), large images were downloaded from a dropbox site managed by Victron then installed manually. This site (or at least the link to it) have been removed from the documentation on large images.

As of v2.90 large images are included in the normal on-line updates and downloads available here:

http://updates.victronenergy.com/feeds/venus/

However, you must already be on v2.90. So upgrade to v2.90 standard and you should then see a selection in the online updates menu to select the large version which you can then install from that menu.

Note that VeCanSetup does not currently work with v2.90. There is a beta version of that package that PARITALLY works but a lot of the kinks have not been worked out and things most likely will substantially change before a v2.90-compatible version is released.

4 comments
2 |3000

bathnm avatar image bathnm commented ·

Remember you can not upgrade a pre 2.90 RPI to 2.90. You need to create a new boot image

0 Likes 0 ·
christophlaib avatar image christophlaib commented ·
Hey thanks Master ! :-)

So the way to go if OSlarge and CAN functionality are crutial will be :

Wait until 2.90 stable is available.
Wait untli VeCanSetup scripts are available for the 2.90 stable.

Any idea about estimated time to wait ?

best regards

Christoph

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem christophlaib commented ·

No you should not need to wait until the v2.90 release. The beta is pretty stable.

I am working on an upgrade to VeCanSetup but not sure when that will be available. I'm still sorting out several details. The VeCanSetup beta may work for you. What type of CANbus interface are you using?

0 Likes 0 ·
christophlaib avatar image christophlaib commented ·
Hi :-)

i see 2.9 release is out : yssss
what about the can setup scripts ?
do you advice to do the configuration handish, or will there be the magic sreipt available soon ?
best regards

0 Likes 0 ·
ccraven avatar image
ccraven answered ·

I'm seeing the same issue with my Cerbo gx running firmware v3.10. I'm able to select the large image type but cannot modify any of the features to enable node red.

Is there something I'm missing or is this a known firmware bug to be fixed by Victron?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic