question

Jeen de Vries avatar image
Jeen de Vries asked

Charge agm start and gel house batterybank with dc to dc ?

Can i use a orion dc to dc to my 150 amp agm start and 240 amp gel house batterybank instead of an argofet insulator? Like in the picture.

orion-tr-1212-30-to-agm-gel.png

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

How do you intend to do it?

Normal is to charge start direct from alternator and house using the Orion from alternator/start battery. This prevents house loads from draining the starter battery.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jeen de Vries avatar image Jeen de Vries commented ·

That's actually exactly what I mean

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Sorry, the picture wasn't there before, or I missed it. :-(

So yes you can.

2 |3000

Nick avatar image
Nick answered ·

Am looking to do something similar and hoping it's okay to add-on to this post.

Assuming the alternator in this picture is say 115A and the house bank is being limited to 30A by the Orion, is it not possible to use the rest of the available alternator current to run the house load when the engine is running.

If for example on a boat I have two fridges, amplifier/stereo running and some lights for a theoretical total current of 27.5A , the house bank would only be charging at 2.5A which might be less than ideal. If the max charging current of the house batteries was 20A and I bought a Buck-Boost 50A or maybe 2x Smart Orion 12-30 connected in parralel, would it be possible to limit the battery charging in the Buck-Boost to 20A but allow the consumer load to access the 27.5A it needs directly off the Buck-Boost and not from the batteries?

2 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Simplest to add a second Orion in parallel to the first.
0 Likes 0 ·
Nick avatar image Nick kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

@kevgermany Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·