question

jimj avatar image
jimj asked

48V -12V Orion TR converter/charger: Set it and Forget it?

I'd like to use the Orion TR48V-12V 30A converter/charger to keep a bank of 3x12V series AGM boat house batteries at charge. Solar will charge the 48V (2x24V) lithium source. The manual for the Orion states that it is "overload and short circuit proof". Does 'overload proof' mean that the Orion will stop charging when the 12V bank is at 100%? Then automatically resume charging when there is a load on the 12V bank? Finally is there a better equipment choice to accomplish this? The Smart Orion can do it, but only up to a 24V input, unless I missed the 48V model. Thanks.

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Overload not overcharge protection.

The normal Orion is not designed as a charging device. It will just output a constant voltage, that voltage should be set to the float voltage or a bit lower. To fully charge the battery from time to time you still need a "real" charger.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jimj avatar image
jimj answered ·

Thinking about this for a while and the thought I came up with is to use the TR Orion 'Smart' 24-12 -20A charger connected in Parallel to my 2x24V Torqeedo's. Where I feel uncertain has to do with the serial connection of the 2x24V=48V for propulsion while simultaneously employing a parallel connection to the smart charger. And of course, the MPPT's for the PV's will be connected to the Toqeedos in parallel. Feeling lost here! Does this all make sense?

2 |3000