question

docloboto avatar image
docloboto asked

Blue Smart IP65 12/15 - odd voltage readings vStart/vEnd

a64891c6-2ba3-4a88-b863-a253629d0ef8.jpegHey there,I wanted to ask, why the Victron App displays odd voltages at the vStart and vEnd readings. The battery in the screenshot was resting for minimum 30 Minutes, at the vStart I got 13,xx V and still it was possible to load in >10Ah? Literally no one could explain why there is a huge difference between vStart in the App and the actual voltage of the battery. I tried it with 3 different AGM-batteries from 2 cars and still, I always got strange readings on vStart.

The second thing is: Am I correct that vEnd is measured right after absorption? Isnt it so that the batt needs to rest for 10-15 min after loading to show the actual voltage?

charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

docloboto avatar image docloboto commented ·
Sry, I was unable to put the screenshot at the end of the post. The editor is not very handy within iOS
0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@DocLoboto

The Vstart is whatever the battery voltage was when it started charging. I would expect that one to be varied as that is more how much you used it.

The v end should be related to your settings mine with LiIon reaches 14.4V i set without fail every time.

With AGM do you have equalisation charge in or not? That might explain the one hitting 15V. Also temperature compensation can affect it as well.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi Alex, thx for reply.

Today I tested it with another AGM battery (70Ah) which isnt connected to any consumer. I measured 12,4 V right before plugging in the charger and 13,4 V right after unplugging. For testing I choose „high + recond“ setting to see, how it behaves in recondition mode. The temperature of both battery and charger were about 6°C.

I witnessed two things:

- the vStart and vEnd differs extremely from what I measured (I used a Voltcraft VC290)

584ac981-341b-4368-bacd-79c62f0db137.jpeg

- the current in bulk was really really low (the current is not limited within the settings!)

7dbf6137-3a3c-4748-83c2-3e6cb599d480.jpeg

I still have no idea, what vStart and vEnd wants to tell me or how I should interpret these values. :(

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@DocLoboto

With agms if the voltage rises in a short period of time, has low AH charging, the battery has high internal resistance which could mean it is near end of life. (There can be other factors for low amp charge)

Temperature compensation makes the voltage higher at lower temps. The graph in the manual does describe the influence of the temp compensation on charge voltage.

If you want to rule out temp compensation.as an influence, then use a lithium ion settings with voltage customised if necessary or disable it in settings.

Leave the charger to do the full bulk abs float charge and see how many AH it has put into the battery.

The manual does describe what Vstart and Vend means.

2 |3000

docloboto avatar image
docloboto answered ·

Hey there,

yes, I already read what vStart and vEnd should mean but tbh, either I'm not able to comprehend the numbers or something is wrong. As you can see on the screenshots, there always are values like 14,xx Volts for vStart.

Why doesn’t it show the real value (open-circuit voltage)? Does it somehow influence the ability to (fast) charge?

Yesterday, I tried a brand new BSC1215 from a friend and the readings are same misleading (actual voltage was like 12,7V, App shows vStart something like 14,5xV).

I feel like I'm doing something wrong…

2 comments
2 |3000

I have one assumption, I want to share: Could it be influential to the readings, that I go to the battery over a 12V-EU-socket which is secured over a 15A fuse? I have no other access to the second battery in my van (but I want to build one).

0 Likes 0 ·
docloboto avatar image docloboto docloboto commented ·
Meanwhile I added another (direct) socket and the readings are better but still not entirely valid IMO. Since I haven’t a screenshot rn, I try to add one later.
0 Likes 0 ·
gunnar-l avatar image
gunnar-l answered ·

Hallo @docloboto,

da du die Victron App in deutsch eingestellt hast, gehe ich davon aus, dass du auch deutsch sprichst und liest. Leider kann ich dir für deine Frage keine hilfreiche Antwort geben. Allerdings ist mir in dem Zusammenhang der Spannungsmessung noch ein weiteres Detail aufgefallen. Ich habe mir das 12/15 gekauft und bin gerade noch dabei es zu testen. Mir fiel auf, dass die (Lade)Spannung in der App und bei zusätzlicher Messung mit einem Multimeter an den Polen der Batterie um 0,3 - 0,4 Volt abweicht. Das Victron IP65 zeigt diesen Wert zuviel an. Ist das bei dir auch so? Dies würde bedeuten, dass das Ladegerät die Batterien nicht einwandfrei lädt. 0,3 Volt entspricht schon dem Wert der unterschiedlichen Ladespannung von normalen und AGB Batterien. Vielleicht magst du das ebenso mal bei dir prüfen.

Viele Grüße Gunnar

2 |3000

docloboto avatar image
docloboto answered ·

Hi Gunnar,

nein, das ist bei mir definitiv nicht so. Wenn ich meine Aufbaubatterie über eine der beiden 12V-SteDo im Auto lade, landet an den Polen zwar ca. 0,2…0,3 V weniger als das Ladegerät ausweist, das wird aber an den ewig langen dünnen Kabeln und der separaten Absicherung (15A) liegen. Ich hab noch einen direkten Ladestecker, der fast direkt an den Polen liegt, wenn ich das Ladegerät dort anschließe, stimmt die Spannung nahezu überein.

Ansich wäre eine um 0,3…0,4 V niedrigere Spannung am Pol auch nicht dramatisch, es lädt dadurch zwar langsamer, dafür auch schonender. Gasungsspannung liegt bereits bei 14,3V, je nach Ventil deiner VLRA-Batterie gast da zwar noch nichts aus, Verschleiß tritt aber am Ende trotzdem auf. Insbesondere als Erhaltungsladungsgerät würde ich die voreingestellte Spannung schon von allein um jeweils ca. 0,2V niedriger einstellen.

Nur höher darf die Polspannung nicht sein, dadurch würdest du über kurz oder lang die Batterie zerstören.

2 |3000

gunnar-l avatar image
gunnar-l answered ·

Hallo docloboto,

wird die Ladegeschwindigkeit nicht von der gelieferten Stromstärke bestimmt? Die Ladespannung bestimmt doch die max. Höhe der Spannung / Ladeschlussspannung. Das Problem, welches ich sehe ist, das der Lader die Ladeschlussspannung im BULK Modus nicht erreicht, wo er dann in den Absorbations Modus über geht. Meines Erachtens schaltet er dann zu früh in die Absorbation / Konstantspannungsphase. Diese läuft dann auch auf einem zu niedrigen Spannungniveau. Wenn ich die Spannung zum Schonen der Akkus um 0,2 Volt verringern will, nutze ich die Möglichkeit, die Werte manuell zu wählen. Bei den vorgegeben Automatikprogrammen, sollte meiner Meinung nach spannungsmäßig alles korrekt ablaufen. Ich werde mal den Verkäufer kontaktieren. Mal schauen was dabai raus kommt.

Vstart und Vende stimmen bei mir auch nicht überein. Ich denke es liegt aber daran, dass der Lader gleich beim "Einschalten" (Stecker in die Steckdose) anfängt mit laden. Ich finde das unglücklich gelöst, da man üblicherweise erst den Lademodus auswählen will, bzw. erst die Ladeparamter manuell eingeben muss. In dieser Zeit beginnt der Lader ja schon mit dem vorherigen Programm. Eine Start / Stop Funktion fände ich da besser.

Viele Grüße

Gunnar

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic