question

andreholgersson avatar image
andreholgersson asked

Safe to have batteries in cabin?

Hi! On my boat, the batteries are currently mounted in the engine compartment. To get a better weight distribution, I am thinking of moving them forward in the boat. I was thinking of a space between the mid-cabin and the toilet. Is there any risk of having sealed Victron AGM batteries indoor? In a year or two I am planning to install a Victron multiplus in the same compartment. I don't think the multiplus is ignition proof?

AGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
harold avatar image
harold answered ·

Please watch out!
If one cell goes 'wrong' and short circuit, it will cause heat and a lot of gasses!
Last years in the Netherlands we have seen a few incidents and accidents!
At least at a temperature sensor and alarm (not in the standard of the Multi/Quattro) and/or a gas / smoke sensor!

Mine are still in the engineroom, but I added a VRM alarm for temperature.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Think about ventilation and temperature. They need to be kept cool, and if there's an overcharge situation, sealed batteries do vent and release dangerous gases.

As long as good ventilation without sparks, you should be ok.

Moving the multi.... Maybe. Victron say not over the batteries, but you should be ok in the same compartment if there's separation and good ventilation. Multis generate heat.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic