question

micmak avatar image
micmak asked

Behavior while AC running in heater mode

Hello everyone,
We've had a local company install a solar system for us and it has been working great. I have a concern though about running the AC in heater mode. We're running two banks in parallel of 4 batteries in series, each battery is a tubular 12V/240AH. The inverter is a 5.2KW 48V 230V inverter (we use 220V where I live, 50Hz)

I have a victron smartshunt and I have my inverter connected to home assistant to log the data. I ran the AC in heater mode (~1500Watts) and it ran for 2 hours before the inverter cut off due to low voltage, from 3AM (prior to that the grid was available) to approximately 5AM:

Is this drop in voltage normal? Total home power usage was around 1700Watts, less than 50% the inverter capabilities. it happened twice before I woke up and turned off the heater at 4:50AM. Then without the load the voltage kept recovering. Victron SmartShunt was showing an SoC of 88% around that time.

I am aware under load the voltage drops, but then again state of charge is at 88%, way higher than the 50% I try to stay above as those are flooded lead acid batteries. What am I missing here?

Here's the config for the shunt:

1640606209339.png

SmartShunt
1640606209339.png (7.4 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
netrange avatar image
netrange answered ·

The problems with a 48V battery bank in serial/parallel is always:

how old are the batteries and how is the balancing of the groups in charge mode. Are the voltage values reached at all at the moment or is the system recharged via the mains?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Apart from battery age, start with the battery specs. See what the discharge curve is and how that relates to your load. Lead acids are poor at delivering lots of power in a smaller window, assuming they are healthy and fully charged to start with.

2 |3000