question

sieade245 avatar image
sieade245 asked

CCGX measuring only half the AC loads with Multiplus

Hi Guys. Have working ESS system with CCGX, Victron grid meter and Multiplus 24/3000.

Just upgraded from a Multiplus compact 24/1600. Previously, the AC loads were correct and matched the battery load. So if I was pulling 500W from battery, the AC loads were around this.

Now, with the Multiplus 24/3000. I am connected only to AC input, same as before. Nothing is connected to AC OUT 1 or AC OUT 2. The CCGX and also the Victron portal now shows something different. If I'm pulling 500W from battery, the AC load is only 250W. This shows as 250W consumption. If I go to VE Bus summary page, I have AC -250W and also AC OUTPUT 250W. Adding these together gets me my 500W load.

Is this normal behaviour for the 24/3000? Before I didn't have AC OUTPUT on the display, just AC. I've checked that "AC output in use" is still disabled on the CCGX and I've also tried this with DVCC switched on and off but makes no difference?

It doesn't appear to affect functionality, I'd like my AC loads to read correct if possible though

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerESSCCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Did you try 'redetect system'? (devices - multi - advanced)
(not sure if it helps, just a thought)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sieade245 avatar image
sieade245 answered ·

Hi Boekel. Thanks for your reply. Yes I have tried redetect system. It seems to detect the system ok. One thing I did forget to mention is that is unit was originally shipped with the "old" microprocessor and it has been upgraded to the "new" CPU. Could this be a factor?

3 comments
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

That might very well be a factor, best contact your Victron dealer / support I think.

0 Likes 0 ·
sieade245 avatar image sieade245 boekel ♦ commented ·

Not sure that will be an option. Its a second hand unit from Ebay and I am the Victron support :-)

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ sieade245 commented ·

aha than I meant 'repair centre' ;)

0 Likes 0 ·
sieade245 avatar image
sieade245 answered ·

More strange behaviour. When I set ESS to "keep batteries charged", it also measured the AC loads incorrect, but this time it doubles them. I have no solar power right now, its raining. My AC loads are about 500W, I'm taking 2200 from the grid, and 1700 is being used to charge the batteries so 2200-1700 =500W which is correct...but look at the AC loads, they are being calculated as double.

1552754464860.png (95.8 KiB)
2 |3000

sieade245 avatar image
sieade245 answered ·

Did anybody have any other ideas about this? The Multiplus is working fine in every way apart from the AC loads reading wrong. Is this just because its an old Multiplus with an updated CPU?? Below is the remote console from CCGX for the Multiplus. The AC-in L1 and AC-Out L1 when added together (removing the minus sign) add up to the total AC load, but the VRM portal only seems to report AC OUT load

1553807251647.png (98.9 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

Did you contact Victron about this yet?
To me it seems like the conversion to new processor has something wrong with it, might be an internal setting or a compatibility issue, but 99% of people here don't have knowledge of this.

@mvader (Victron Energy Staff) will probably know this ;)

0 Likes 0 ·
sieade245 avatar image sieade245 boekel ♦ commented ·

Hi. Not yet, I thought I would post it here in case anybody else has the same issue. I found some more info out I posted another picture above.

0 Likes 0 ·
sieade245 avatar image
sieade245 answered ·

More info. I found if I turned on "Inverter AC Output in use" in ESS settings, I get the following, which explains where the missing loads are. The issue is I don't physically have anything connected to either of the AC OUTPUTS. It's almost as if CCGX thinks I do but hides this until I turn on the setting above. So that is where they are...it thinks they are critical loads?

Also, now I have turned this setting on...my other screens actually show me the correct total AC load as below:

In the AC consumption graph above, you can see what time I turned the "Inverter AC Output in use" setting on, the AC loads double.

This might be as good as I'm going to get. It's a workaround for sure...but at least I can see total AC loads now. This is important to me for my solar/ battery/ consumption comparison figures so I can make sure I'm maximising my battery bank usage.

Hope this helps anybody else who has this problem!!

1553978045740.png (79.3 KiB)
1553978404938.png (88.2 KiB)
1553978419356.png (68.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Uwe Heber avatar image
Uwe Heber answered ·

thanks, I've had the same issue. Your solution works for me as well.

2 |3000