question

Volker avatar image
Volker asked

emulating EM24 ethernet meter via modbusTCP server

Hello all,

I have been trying to include a 3rd party generator into the VRM.

For this I set up a modbusTCP server and populated it with the data from the generator
(modbus memory map as defined in this doc => EM24_E1 (Ethernet) COMMUNICATION PROTOCOL (Version 0 Revision 1.2)).

I could detect the emulated meter and connect to it as described here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/energy-meters:em24-eth.

It shows up in the device list as "CG EM24 Ethernet Energy Meter" and after configuring the device as "PV inverter", the data (U,I,P) also show up in the widgets and dashboard as intended.

What I do not understand, however, is why the device in the remote console shows as "Not Connected" and all data in the associated submenue (AC Phase 1, ... AC totals, ... Energy L3) show "--" (no value).

REM: no intention to replace the 485 connected ESS grid-meter ET340 - the emulation is actually just intended for correct viewing of the setup in the dashboad/advanced overview.

FW-version is 2.73

Thanks a lot for any any help and suggestion!

Kind regards - Volker

VRMModbus TCPem24
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hello Volker,

seems like we have the same thoughts of emulating an EM24. Mine are a bit younger and I started my research just yesterday as i finna got my Multi.

Can you provide information how you did that? Probably with node red? So I hopefully can follow you then and find a solution for the visualization issue.

My first thought is something like a keep alive signal that might be missing. I’m new to modbus and more the CAN guy but that’s standard in this area.

Best Regards

Mark

0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
hansie avatar image
hansie answered ·

Seems like you make a wrong conversion from em24 parameter to victron. Use RMMS to check your values. I made the same project. Best regards.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Volker avatar image
Volker answered ·

Hey - sorry for answering late.

On my side this works quite stable now.

@Mark: What I did is just install a docker-based modbus-TCP server which behaves on read-access like an EM24. Updating of data (i.e. register writing) is continously done by a homeserver which has knowledge on the generator status.

two remaining questions:
(1) in the dashboard I see details (U,A,P per phase when details are enabled) for all blocks besides for the "PV inverter" that is emulated. The device itself shows those values.
=> Is this a limitation of the dashboard?
(2) the fact tat in the dashboard the summation is not displayed correctly is (still) a artefact of the ET340 that I use - correct?
(rem: currently on FW 2.84)

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi Volker,

could you please provide more information about your configuration of the modbus TCP docker image?

I try the same with my 3 Zeversolar Inverters.

Wich homeserver do you use? Home Assistant?

0 Likes 0 ·
dafyddhirst avatar image
dafyddhirst answered ·

I Use a USR-302 it allows modbus tcp to rtu protocol conversion works a charm.

2 |3000

der-neue avatar image
der-neue answered ·

can someone help me with the implementation? Has anyone implemented this with nodered and can explain it to me a little?

2 |3000

pau1phi11ips avatar image
pau1phi11ips answered ·

Wouldn't it be easier to add a new driver for this? You could use the existing Carlo Gavazzi driver as a starting point.

https://github.com/victronenergy/dbus-modbus-client/blob/master/carlo_gavazzi.py

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/howto-add-a-driver-to-Venus

2 |3000

christian-k-1 avatar image
christian-k-1 answered ·

Hi @Volker

could you please provide more information about your configuration of the modbus TCP docker image?

I try the same with my 3 Zeversolar Inverters.

Wich homeserver do you use? Home Assistant?

2 |3000